Ultimate Subaru Message Board

auto tranny leak

Hey all,

recently I bought an 85 auto GL turbo wagon with 'bad timing belts.' Well, after getting a new fuel pump, it runs :banana:

Only problem now, is it leaks ATF while running from what looks like in front of the front differential. It pours down from right above the crossmember under the axles. While running it's a steady drip, and gradually dies off after stopping the car.

I found a couple other threads with similar problems, but no replies :-/ like this one: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20578&highlight=leak+auto

so, what kind of problem does this sound like? seal? easy fix, hard fix? This is the first time I've worked on an auto car, so I don't know much about them. I have another 4WD 3sp auto at home I could probably throw in, or I could go with a 5spd MT swap if needed.

thanks,

-Dave

edit: oh yea, it was last registered in '99, so it's been sitting for at least 6 years now. It was about a quart low on ATF when I got it, and would not move under it's own power. After adding the ATF, it moves, but leaks...

anyone? we can't have three similar questions without any replies, now can we? :-p

I checked everything that I could that I found in my haynes manual, including:

vent line

tranny cooler lines

filler tube

speedo connector

fluid pan

only one I can't find is the 'rear cover'. It says to look in chapt. 7, but I can't find anything there about it (figures).

So, any other ideas?

thanks

it would be easier to pull the motor as the 3at is behemoth to try and wrestle out the bottom of the car

my buddy got this legacy that has the torque converter seal, fixed that and the tranny runs perfect

i once had a rare 85 turbo traction wagon with a leak, delivered pizza and ran cases of atf. put ti in the shop with 120 down payment till they tell me i need a new tranny and axle splines were messed up. man if i only knew what i know now about soobs back then.

anyway its an easy fix as far as one seal goes but the motor and tranny have to come apart from eachother to get to it