Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Value of '85 GL sedan?

Hi All!

I recently picked up an '85 GL 4X4 sedan with only 66K miles on it. Other than a little bit of faded paint, it is super clean and nice. It has the EA82T (turbo) motor, power everything including the sunroof, and alas, an automatic tranny. The factory AM/FM/Cassette and speakers even sound good still!

I'm trying to decide if I want to sell the car as-is, or use it as a platform for my next "project" car.

Any idea if an immaculately clean and very lo-miles GL is worth substantially more than the $500-$700 that run-of-the-mill GLs of that vintage seem to bring? If I could reasonably expect to get $1500-$2000 for it (from someone who collects old Soobies?), I would definitely sell it; much less than that, and it's worth more to me as a clean chassis.

Any thoughts on the matter greatly appreciated. TIA!

ByeBye! S.

I think you should keep it. You have an Ea82T with only 66K, which means you have another 200K or so of badass turbo action ahead of you. I think you're going to need some skills to get $2000 out of any "normal" person who doesn't know the inherent value of the car, and most people on the board aren't willing to pay that kind of money because many have a house and family (expensive) or they would rather build such a car themselves.

Try kbb.com for prices in your area.

Given you are in one of the 'soob states' I doubt you are going to see anything in the $2k range for an 85.. And its not much of a collector car either.

Sounds like a good start for a project. Keep it, mod the hell out of it.