Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problems when under a heavy load......

Hey guys, I have a '89 DL Wagon 2wd, 5spd SPFI. I recently replaced the timing belts after one broke, got 'er running again and she ran great for awhile and recently when driving up hills or takin it up to WOT, it cuts out and stumbles badly. I repalced a couple of cracked PCV hoses, put a new air cleaner in, plugs wires cap and rotor and a coil. I have cleaned the Air control valve and seems to be working properly. I also checked the coolant temp sender plug and it was fine and I also checked and made sure that the EGR valve is working. Any ideas on what is the cause of my troubles.

....Also my ECU is flashing code 21(coolant temp sensor or circuit) and code 34(EGR Solenoid or circuit)

Thanks for the help in advance, this site has been great for all kinds of info much better than the Hanyes book!!

didn't see a fuel filter on the list?

That would be the first thing I would change

The coolant sensor has remote possibilities

(may just want the connections cleaned )

For it's location:

Look on the upper rad hose connector on the block

This is called a "goose neck", it houses the thermostat.

In the housing there will be two coolant sensors

the one with wires permanently attached is the one for the

fuel injection system (the one with the spade connection is for the dash gauge.)

The other problem is the EGR solenoid valve, the rubber line on the EGR valve will lead you to it.

Very common for these to go open circuit, bone yard can yield results as the stealer cost is outrageous.

Some Honda's use them also and seem better built, just have to swap the connector.

Thanks for the reply, Yes I did change the fuel filter, for got to add it to the list but it was replaced with the new air cleaner.

The coolant sensor plug was cherry, no corrosion at all

Is there any way to test the EGR solenoid valve?

Thanks again