Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New belts for A/C delete?

Hi all!

Were there ever any ea82 cars that came without air conditioning? I'd like to remove the system in my XT, but I need to find shorter belts to pick up the slack after removing the compressor...

I'm looking to get rid of as much weight as possible from in front of the shock towers. Does anyone here have the A/C deleted from their car?

Fraser

• 3 months later...

I have the same question as air conditioning seems to be an unnecessary complication. Especially when it's non-working and the only manual is the FSM I don't have.

So, surely someone here has removed their EA82/EA82T's air conditioning system? Perhaps you can tell us how the belts were replaced.

Thanks for the information!

Wouldn't any belt designed for an EA82 sans A/C fit an OEM A/C-equipped EA82, without the A/C compressor?

I understand the process of removing A/C basically involves removing the compressor, all associated plumbing, and replacing the belt which used to drive the compressor with one smaller. Saving even 20lbs sounds like a good thing for a feature that is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth (in my case).

I'll google those part numbers and see what I can find.

I have an EA-82 with AC delete here, out in the garage. I'll try to get my feeble mind to remember to look at belt size after I get home from work, and post info here. I thought I had put that info in one of the Logs I have on the different 'Rus here, but me no find it.

Ok, home from the job now.... Belt is a Goodyear MatchMaker, #'s are 15361 and 11AV0900 (not sure what that ones for).

I didn't do the delete myself but can tell you what was done. All the AC stuff was removed, except for the bracket that bolted to the top of the AC compressor, as the Alt is also mounted to it. I never had problems with belt, but it would have been better to have a spacer of some kind to install atleast one more bolt in to help hold things in proper place(s).

You could try looking for a Soob that had Dealer installed AC added, as the brackets for having the Alt inboard of the AC unit would be there, well maybe should be there. Factory AC Alt is outboard, Dealer AC Alt is inboard.