Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Thingamabob (whats this)

Today I came home, and my car would hardly idle. I figured my intercooler hose had come apart again, so I opened the hood and sure enough it had. So I fixed that, but it still wouldnt idle. I checked all the hoses for my intercooler and BPV but everything was snug, i could hear a massive leak comming from somewhere so I started to feel around.

I found the leak, its comming from something on the back of my intake manifold. Seems there was something screwed into this doohicky, or maybe a plug of some sort. I found a bolt with the same thread, used some teflon tape and plugged it back up.

DSC00437.sized.jpg

All this after I removed my intercooler. Now my RX is Intercooless :(

DSC00435.sized.jpg

-Brian

IIRC, thats the fast idle adjutment screw. Its a controlled vacuum leak( for idle compensation when the AC and such is on)... They aren't supposed to come out.. I have a spare crap manifold and I can't get that adjuster out to save my life.. On the other hand, I have lost 2 of those damn things from my wagon and 2 others on my old 88. I too have a thread sealed bolt in place there now.

Yep Fast idle control. Join the club mine decided to eject itself from my intake manafold 500 miles from home. The car would run fine if I was cruising at zero vaccum. But idle or boost and foggedaboodit!! Found one at the junkyard but the o-ring was all crusty had to go find one at a hardware store.