Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump woes

This may be a dumb question but when you replace the fuel pump (the kind under the pass. side rear) does the tank need to be empty or something?

I ask because all the manuals I have that walk through the procedure say to relieve the pressure, which I've done, and they say to then remove the hoses and catch the SMALL fuel spillage with a rag...well...I just did that and about a 1/2 gallon came out practically in my face! I barely was able to slip the hose back on the pump to stop the torrent. They don't say squat about draining the tank or anything.

So what's the deal, everything says there should be just a little spillage and that's it. But mine had no end. Am I missing something here?

I'm getting my new fuel pump tomorrow and I wanted to prep the area and get the old pump off, etc. Also, while I think of it which is first in the cycle of flow the filter or the pump? I assume the filter is to protect the pump but I think my old filter is in backward, the arrow points away from the pump.

Any help people??

You have to clamp or plug the "tank to pump" hose or gravity will pump the tank dry. Some folks use visegrips, but I don't like to cuz' I've seen too many hoses damaged that way. Here's what I do: a small C clamp and two pennies. Put a penny on each side of the hose and screw the C clamp down on them, just snug enough to seal it. You may still get a drip or two over time, but the pennies are kind to the hose. That's my two cents worth. Ha ha ha!!!

I just had to replace the fuel pump on an 85 turbo wagon that hasn't run in 6 years...

I just let the hoses dangle after about a half gallon came out. After I got the new one in I pumped out about 3 more gallons. Maybe there wasn't enough gas in there to drain out by itself?

That's what I figured, that really pisses me off, I mean everybody knows Haynes manuals aren't exactly helpful, but they usually don't leave something like that out, my tank's almost full, what if I'd just yanked the whole hose off or something, I'd have gallons and gallons all over my driveway.

I don't have a c-clamp, so I think I'll use a vicegrips over a couple pennies!, thanks for the info!

That's irritating too, for another reason, I wanted to replace all the crusty old hose under there, I'll just have to leave the tank to filter line in place.

Just to confirm, am I right? Is the flow chart like this: Tank-filter-pump-engine?

I'll wait till the tank is almost empty and just let the rest drain out, and then replace that tank to filter hose.

Yeah, it's an EA82, only one filter right next to the pump. Just wasn't sure which way it flowed, both metal lines kind of go the same way, the one coming from the pump goes a little more towards the front of the car so I figure that must be the line to the carb and the other one going to the filter must be the tank line.

This may be a dumb question but when you replace the fuel pump (the kind under the pass. side rear) does the tank need to be empty or something?

I ask because all the manuals I have that walk through the procedure say to relieve the pressure, which I've done, and they say to then remove the hoses and catch the SMALL fuel spillage with a rag...well...I just did that and about a 1/2 gallon came out practically in my face! I barely was able to slip the hose back on the pump to stop the torrent. They don't say squat about draining the tank or anything.

So what's the deal, everything says there should be just a little spillage and that's it. But mine had no end. Am I missing something here?

I'm getting my new fuel pump tomorrow and I wanted to prep the area and get the old pump off, etc. Also, while I think of it which is first in the cycle of flow the filter or the pump? I assume the filter is to protect the pump but I think my old filter is in backward, the arrow points away from the pump.

Any help people??

Might be interesting to install a shut-off if one was going to do the annual fuel filter replacement.... :)