Ultimate Subaru Message Board

never had a car so cold-blooded.....

Title says it all. This car is the most cold-blooded car I've ever had. You physically cannot drive it until it is up to running temp. It will sputter and choke and die even if it's partially warmed up (showing on the guage). But, it will not run right until it's totally warmed up. It has a very new looking Hitachi rebuilt carb on it - wondering if maybe the choke isn't working properly???? Would that cause it to be so cold-blooded?

Yep, sounds like a choke problem. I presume it's an automatic choke? Just guessing, cuz' I've never worked on a carb'd Subbie but lots of other carbs, sounds like the choke butterfly is completely closing until the bi-metal coil (or whatever Sub uses to actuate it) is warmed up enough to move it. If you can't find anymore data on choke settings or some good advice on here, try this:

With the engine cold, push the gas pedal all the way down once, then look at the choke butterfly and see if it's completely closed. If it is there should be some kind of adjustment on the rod or lever that controls it. Adjust it so that it's open about 1/16". Then start the engine and see if there is any improvement. Might take some trial and error till you hit the right setting. Sometimes it's right where the butterfly just begins to unseat and sometimes wider.