Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition fuse blew!

I was driving my 89 wagon today and the check engine light started to come on periodically. when I let off the gas it would go out. I figured I would look into it when I got home but then the car just quit running. Out in the middle of nowhere I managed to diagnose the problem. The ignition fuse in the fusebox blew! Stole a fuse from the right headlight to make it run again. I don't know if the 2 things are tied together or not but I was hoping that maybe one of you might have a answer for me.

I had a 90 Loyale that blew the fuse to the Ignition and caused the warning lights to go out. I replaced the IAC, the purge and ERG control valves. It stopped blowing the fuse, but when the Kickdown relay was activated the volt gauge still dropped to 8V. It turned out to be a shorted dash wires. Several of them were melted and fused. Not Good.

Look at the back of the fuse block and check the wires for the fuse that blew. Any signs of overheating should be followed. Many of the control items use the same common ground and or share the power source.

It was a long long fix.

Mine blew once... I think it was back at around 305K... it was just time for the old fuse to finally go.

May have been related to my choke wire coming off my carb and shorting on something.... but yours if EFI, so it doesnt have one.

In my case a new fuse and re-soldering the wire fixed it.

So... just check for any pinched or cut wires.