Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loose Crank pulley help

Hello, newb question here. I went to go start up my 85 GL and heard a loud clattering noise. I looked and none of my belts were moving. Turned off the motor and was able to see that the crankshaft pulley was loose. I can wiggle it back and forth and almost pull it out. Is there any special trick to tightening this back down or just use a socket and torque it down? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

22mm socket will do the trick.

Take off the spare tire and remove the flywheel cover, then you can use a large flathead screwdrive to wedge against the flywheel so you can torque it down well. Not sure what the exact torque specs are, but it should be good and tight. Be sure not to take any big scrapes or gouges out of the flywhell when you wedge it.

22mm socket will do the trick.

Take off the spare tire and remove the flywheel cover, then you can use a large flathead screwdrive to wedge against the flywheel so you can torque it down well. Not sure what the exact torque specs are, but it should be good and tight. Be sure not to take any big scrapes or gouges out of the flywhell when you wedge it.

Hey, thanks alot. I got it tightened, but it is an automatic so I took off the spare tire and wedged a screwdriver in the hole where you can see the torque converter and held that in place while I torqued it down, probably about 80 ft lbs. Hopefully that is enough. Thanks again!

Oh yeah, is there a way to prevent this from happening again? Loctite?

There should be a locator pin in the back of the pulley that fits into a hole in the gear behind it. (Ea 82 engine).It has probobly sheared off ,but the only purpose it serves is to position your pulley for setting timing.The car will run perfectly well without it.

I prefer to torque the pulley bolt to 100 pounds,I think Haynes have got it wrong at the recommended 75. No need of loctite. My 2 c

Jude

(Ea 82 in Avid Flyer ,now building EA 81 to replace it.)

Theres a woodruff key on the crankshaft, and a groove in your pulley, so it will only go on in 1 given way (on some pulleys I have seen markers for TDC & BDC by the way).. if that key aint there to keep the pulley from being torqued, bad things will happen. I have a friend whos got a 22RE yoda pickup and because the pulley bolt wasnt tightened down properly, it torqued on that key too much and actually machined the groove right off the crankshaft, so now he wants my help finding a new crankshaft for one (not that it would be hard for a 22R anyway).

Theres a woodruff key on the crankshaft, and a groove in your pulley, so it will only go on in 1 given way (on some pulleys I have seen markers for TDC & BDC by the way).. if that key aint there to keep the pulley from being torqued, bad things will happen. I have a friend whos got a 22RE yoda pickup and because the pulley bolt wasnt tightened down properly, it torqued on that key too much and actually machined the groove right off the crankshaft, so now he wants my help finding a new crankshaft for one (not that it would be hard for a 22R anyway).

So how do I tell if I have lost the key as stated above? The pulley tightened down fine and the car is running ok. What should I check? Would something be obviously broken? Thanks.