Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 transmission help needed-LEAKING! FIXED

I will too. It may be a month before I get around to working on it. But the inner CV boot won't last much longer than that. It is pretty well dried out from the catalytic converter heat and it is starting to get hairline fractures in it. It is amazing how that heat destroys that boot every year while all the others haven't torn in the 5 years those axles have been on there.

OKAY YA'LL I GOT IT FIXED! If I could do it you can do it! I split the case and got the right seal and put it in. but here is the biggest advice I can give to you. BE PATIENT! Follow the breakdown from either the OLD RED BOOK of HAYNES or a shop manual. BUT BE PATIENT! I am not a patient person by nature so it was more difficult because I put a time constraint on myself.

Also, have plenty of room, get a helper and get a lot of rags that are CLEAN! Remember this is the guts of driving here so keep it very clean. I wished I had more time to go into the case and clean every corner of it, alas I didn't. I will try to find some additive that will clean it.

I was going to post pics, but I didn't atake anything that was of of any importance.

Best to all!

Rich ;)

Hey Sidekickin This is Jerry,the problem you are having on the catalytic converter and the heat on the CV boot. I have just the thing for it. You will have to drop the Y pipe and remove the heat sheild. Drill out the welded nuts on the sheild or knock them off. Get another sheild from another Y pipe use half of it when you bolt it back on the Y pipe. 2 parts on top and 1 on the bottom. Space the top 2 sheilds out with nuts the will go thruogh new bolts. This will leave an air gap between the 2 parts of the top sheilds. Thanks Jerry