Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Am I going to have to tear the dash apart?

OK, did a search and only came up with that the push-button heater controls are vacuum operated, but didn't find any post that really helped past that .........My car has heater-control issues. It's the push-button heater controls, but the person I bought it from by-passed them when they quit working to a wire to turn the vent to the defroster. Pushing the bottons does nothing right now. And, sliding the hot/cool temp setting feels really 'iffy' like it's going to break if I'm not careful (that part does seem to work though). Now, with warmer weather coming, I KNOW I am going to want to use that vent setting since my car has no A/C. Rolled down windows muss my hair (quit laughing!)

I had the whole dash apart on the '84 Soob I had a few years back to fix a leaky heater core, but it had the 'slide' type heater control, so it was way different (plus it was EA81). I'm not fond of doing another tear-down like that again - but if I have to do it to fix it right, then so-be-it. Seems like I will be forever 'un-rednecking' this rig. I hate it when cars have been neglected/abused!

Also, I have no clue what was wrong with it that the previous owner did this by-pass. What is the common problem with them malfunctioning? The parts car that I had and gave away, it's push buttons were a wreck (all of them stuck in), so I didn't bother taking it apart (although maybe I should have for the learning experience.)

As I recall, pull out the top and bottom buttons and you'll find the screws that hold the assembly to the panel. Then it's a matter of tracing vacuum lines to where they're broken or disconnected, etc.

My '92 Loyale has an odd quirk in that when I have the "Heat" button pushed and I should be getting heat from the floor and defrost ducts, which I do, I also get cool (vent) air from the panel registers. But, only if the fan is on setting "1", if I turn it to "2" or higher, the cool air quits. So, I'm guessing that something that shuts off outside air isn't quite closing, until the fan pushes enough air against it. I'll live with it for now.

have you checked the connections under the hood on the passenger side at the vacuum canister? It's a clearish looking thing the size of a soup can. Should have two small vacuum lines coming out of it.

If one line from it does not go to the intake manifold, you won't have any vacuum and it won't move the vents around.

Other than that, you check it for leaks etc, or just replace it.

Mine would change from defrost to bi-lev under load, and a new canister fixed it.

good luck.

ps, somewhere there's a document on troubleshooting this system (mainly the 4WD selector for the pushbutton 4wd cars, but I can't find it)

have you checked the connections under the hood on the passenger side at the vacuum canister? It's a clearish looking thing the size of a soup can. Should have two small vacuum lines coming out of it.

)

Yes, the line is hooked up, but I didn't think about the vacuum canister...... That I can find at a JY I'm sure. I will pull the buttons off and see if I can take as little apart as possible......

If I remember correctly, pulling the radio out helped access a lot of the vacuum lines and stuff and was much easier than shinnying in under the dash on your back, too.

Oh, that's a good idea - while I'm there I need to find an 'ignition on' hot wire for the radio (it's hooked up to a constant on hot wire now and I'm afraid if it sat too long w/o being started that the battery would be dead from the light in the radio).