Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque Converter Questions

I just recently pulled the engine out of my 1993 Loyale. When I pulled it out the torque converter came out with the engine. Is this what usually happens of does it stay with the tranny? The reason I ask is because all of the oil drained out the the torque converter when it came out. Before I put the engine back in am I going to need to put tranny fluid in the torque converter or will it fill up once I put some in the tranny fill tube?

Also how do I go about pulling the torque converter off so I can gain access to the rear main seal? Thanks a lot

sounds like its your first time pulling an auto engine. your supposed to be able to reach through an access hole at the bottom of the flexplate and unbolt it first. now that its off go ahead and replace the seal though.

just fill the tranny like normal and it will work out just keep it topped off.

what are you doing a rebuild?

The torque converter is probably just stuck against the flexplate and the pilot-bearing equivalent. It is only fastened to the flexplate by the bolts around the edge of the flexplate.

WARNING/CAUTION/ALERT: The torque converter MUST be correctly mounted onto the transmission shafts when you reattach engine to transmission. "Correctly" means in a specific way; I do not happen to remember EXACTLY how to do it (it involves rotating and pushing and listening/feeling for clicks) you might want to check out this thread (which IIRC includes links to the procedure).

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25381

Thanks for the input. I am going to remove the torque converter tomorrow and put it back on the tranny before I go to put the engine back in. I will make sure that I hear the three clicks when rotating it onto the spline.

So are you saying there is more bolts that need to be removed or should the torque converter just pull off and seperate from the flexplate? Input on this would be much appreciated because I am kinda frustrated as I thought that there was only four bolts that held it on. Thanks

I just recently had to pull a 3AT out of my new 85 turbo wagon.

When I pulled the tranny, even with the TC unbolted from the flexplate, it DID NOT want to come off. After enough hammering and prying it finally came off.

To put it back on, I spun it around and around and lifted up on it, (and never heard any clicks). It eventually went 'home' all the way in. I tied it in place, put the tranny back up, cut the rope, and bolted it all together.

Just drove it today for the first time since '99 :banana: