Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A couple of questions?

1. Can I tow a 87 G-10 wagon with auto trans and push button 4 WD?

2. This same car, I went and washed the motor the other day, started and ran fine, stop at the store part way home and it will not start. It acts like it has jump timing, trys to start then back fires and pops or will run at idle for a moment then die. It did have some water in dist. and I clean that out but, it will not start. Any help? Thanks, Jim

I think you are still going to need a trailer for it in order to tow it though I may be wrong.

Hopefully the ignition problem is due to moisture in the wrong areas still and there isn't a timing problem. Have you tried opening the hood and the distributor cap and let it air out for a few hours? Also check the plug holes for trapped water.

your disty is actually a very sensitive optically-driven Crank Angle Sensor - if you got water in it you might have killed it - I would pull the ECU codes to be sure - otherwise, it is a trip to the JY

BTW - you have to raise the front wheels at the VERY least, and if you tow it like that, it should be for a VERY short distance

What would the code be? I check it and it was 4 short lights no matter if the green or black was hook together, or none were hooked together. Thanks Jim

your disty is actually a very sensitive optically-driven Crank Angle Sensor - if you got water in it you might have killed it - I would pull the ECU codes to be sure - otherwise, it is a trip to the JY

BTW - you have to raise the front wheels at the VERY least, and if you tow it like that, it should be for a VERY short distance

Make sure its in front wheel drive, in neutral, and it's fine to tow. It's not full time 4WD and it's not AWD.

It is an automatic. IIRC, the transfer function is accomplished by a clutch-pack, which is normally engaged. It requires fluid pressure to disengage, AND being in FWD mode. Since the Subaru 3AT does not have a rear pump, there is no fluid pressure with the engine off.

I have towed a 3AT on a dolly twice. It now has a new transmission.

What would the code be? I check it and it was 4 short lights no matter if the green or black was hook together, or none were hooked together. Thanks Jim

OK, that means that your CAS should be fine, because your computer can detect if your car is trying to start (starter engaged) and it will throw either a code 11 or 13 error - four flashes simply designates model - next step is to see if you are getting a spark from the coil, and fuel from the injector

I would think loose wire at this point - NorthWet is probably right - I have never owned an AT car, and I know they are VERY sensitive to towing - a friend of mine ran a tranny shop for years, and much (if not most) of his business came from people who had towed AT cars on the ground - a flatbed is your best (and safest) option.

I have sprayed out the dist. cap with electrical cleaner twice and left to dry, can there be moister below the the rotor and into the other parts? Also can moister effect other sencors on top of the engine (airbox control). It trys to start but pop back and acts like it not firing right. I did change the fuel filter. What would be a easy way to till if the timing is off (belt jump) without removing the front cover?

I was hoping to tow this car behind my RV. If not it's for sale. Thanks everyone for the help, Jim

Hey JC----Welcome "aboard"

Sounds like more moisture in the disty. Any little bit can reek havoc. Takes quite a while to dry out without any extra heat.:)

there are rubber service plugs on the front timing belt cover (they are on the lower part of it) - they can be removed easily for inspection (stick you finger down in there and feel for a belt) - both sides will need to be checked (two belts - one for each side) - removing the T-belt covers for inspection is not hard to do either, as there are three different sections, and the sections over the camshaft pullies come off easily (10mm wrench) - if it has slipped, all it will need is a new belt as these engines are non-interference

Good Luck!!

I have sprayed out the dist. cap with electrical cleaner twice and left to dry, can there be moister below the the rotor and into the other parts?

Yes. But that moisture usually allows the engine to run and misfire later.

Also can moister effect other sencors on top of the engine (airbox control).
Sometimes. But that moisture usually dries out quik. :-\