Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 subaru would not turn over...clunk..

I do have another thread.....might be more symptoms....lol...

I have to say, when I am driving down the highway with this girl it runs smoothly, quietly and has no strange noises....I just sit back and cruise....but....hmmm

Yesterday, tried to start my car and it got stuck on the turn over -when starting...a felt a slight clunk....then I shut if off.....and started it again and voila it started pretty good.

One time I started the car and I could hear the tapping.....usually the oil gets there and stops that very quickly....but this time just continued....I shut off the car....and restarted -no noise.

Today drove to sign language class...(son is deaf) after the 1 1/2 every one was saying look at all the honda cars....the parking lot was full of them...and then I said there is only subaru though....lol....:))

I tried starting mine......then the slight clunk like the engine turns that 1/4 turn...then calfs....and no it was not the cat...

I wiggled all the wires....and I pulled on the belts pretty good....and the motor seemed to turn....and then went into the car...and voila started no problem....lol...

After it started it just ran great for the hour I had left to my house.....what is really strange is I have a bit more power...hmmmm I am starting to scratch my head....

And yes of course the rushing of water again.....sounds like a river running through the dash .....will check the levels in the morning....

Any ideas....something strange is happening....hmmmmm

Your tapping noise on start up is probably the hydraulic lifters not keeping pumped up. Could be time to reseal your oil pump or try some MMO. The clunk when you start your car, that's abit more strange. You might want to look at the teeth on your flywheel or starter.

Your tapping noise on start up is probably the hydraulic lifters not keeping pumped up. Could be time to reseal your oil pump or try some MMO. The clunk when you start your car, that's abit more strange. You might want to look at the teeth on your flywheel or starter.

Now what is MMO..... I have no memory for short forms.....lol.... RPM I have down now.....lol....

MMO is Marvel Mystery Oil, an additive that cleans the hydraulic lifters, which are also known as HVLA's (hydraulic valve lash adjusters).

snowman you are great...thanks..... I have some new terms to throw at my 70+ old mechanical coffee buddy...lol....

if I get this subi....fixed up I might treat her to some mystery oil....:)

And yes of course the rushing of water again.....sounds like a river running through the dash .....will check the levels in the morning....

When I had that noise going on in my car, it ended up being an air pocket trapped in the heater core. I pulled my car up on the ramps when it was cold, put the hood up, started it, and took off the radiator cap. When the car warmed up enough for the thermostat to open up, the level in the radiator went down (there was that trapped air), and I added more fluid and let it run for several minutes until I was SURE all the air was gone. That fiixed it (until I got a leak in the heater core hose, grrr!!)

Does the engine run rough for a short time after restarting? Are you having to top up the coolant?? Just thinking along the lines of cracked head/head gasket and getting water in a cylinder while it's stopped, and then getting hydraulic locking when cranking on the starter.

Does the engine run rough for a short time after restarting? Are you having to top up the coolant?? Just thinking along the lines of cracked head/head gasket and getting water in a cylinder while it's stopped, and then getting hydraulic locking when cranking on the starter.

Yes it does run rough for a short time -then after a minute is runs great.

Yes, today I had to put in 2 cups full of fluid. The smoke is rather whitish to whitish blue -many men are color blind in some sense so??? I am not certain...a person told me rings....I feel personally it is antifreeze....I am not a pro at the different smells -smelling sweet, candy floss,...or whatever it is suppose to smell like... on the first join on my exhaust....there was a little puddle of water....a couple tablespoons or so.....no antifreeze smell.....condensation???

As with my other thread subaru overheating......I had an issue with the temp guage climbing up two hills...just below the red.....I used the heater fan etc to keep it down.....so it was not cooling properly.......now there is no overheating problem....with the flushing, new thermostats, and fan on all the time......

So back to the prob....could a conditioner help for the time being....??? those that repair a small HG or cracked head......

Are there any cheap ways to check for these problems.....I just wished there was someone in the Kelowna, Vernon, Winfield area that could tell me what is up.....:banghead:

And lastly....the vehicle is probably worth 400 bucks -I do not want to sink anymore money into a dying old motor that has probably had irriversible probs with internal engine components....

I am really up against the wall here....

You said clunk. I thought you said KLUNK ;-)

Clunk at start-up; my money is on Blown Head Gasket. I've had plety of 'em in my day (had a Honda in college that popped every 6 mos) and that is a tell-tale sign at start-up.

Thank you very much .... I do believe it is the HG and this vehicle is not worth fixing as the unibody you can push a screwdriver through it....but the good thing is I think I got my money out of her.....400 dollars for 70,000km..

I do not even know the cost up here in Canada.....

I am sad these eropean 4x4 ing tires will not be turning too much more....

Now a man that knows it all told me......to loosen my rad cap....drain the antifreeze and put straight water in it....and run it..... what does everyone think of that idea.....?

I have it parked in the garage where it belongs.....now is that a better idea???

I would imagine another beater is in order....:)

Please clarify things for me, please:

Is the clunk a sound, or a car shuddering jerk. A simple clunk could be nothing more than a bad electrical connection to the starter (very common). It could also be loose engine-to-tranny bolts or a loose starter.

A shuddering jerk could mean hydrolock, where water SOMEHOW gets into the cylinders. It could be an headgasket, but it could also be a bad intake gasket leaking water from the coolant passage into the intake tract. Both the HG and intake gasket could give you coolant loss, overheating, loss of power, and hydrolock.

Well, unfortunately it's certainly sounding like a cracked head or head gasket, but Northwet makes a good point about the intake gasket. I've heard of people adding some sort of conditioner in the cooling system to try and seal a cracked head or leaky head gasket, but I've never heard of any success with this method, usually just clocks the radiator and other things you don't want clogged up. Probably best to save your money and not bother with it.

On the suggestion of using water instead of coolant, the only reason I can think that you'd want to do this is to save some $$$$. You'll probably find that it will start drinking a bit of coolant now, and it can get expensive to keep adding more coolant, where as water is cheap to use as a top up. Using water isn't going to do your cooling system any good in the long term, but sounds like this motor hasn't got much time left anyway. Also, water will be no good if you are in an area where the temps drop below freezing.

Providing you can still get the motor started and keep it topped up with coolant you could keep driving it, won't really matter too much, just as the crack/head gasket leak gets worse it will get to the point where you won't be able to keep any coolant in the motor because it will just blow it all out the overflow :(

Please clarify things for me, please:

Is the clunk a sound, or a car shuddering jerk. A simple clunk could be nothing more than a bad electrical connection to the starter (very common). It could also be loose engine-to-tranny bolts or a loose starter.

A shuddering jerk could mean hydrolock, where water SOMEHOW gets into the cylinders. It could be an headgasket, but it could also be a bad intake gasket leaking water from the coolant passage into the intake tract. Both the HG and intake gasket could give you coolant loss, overheating, loss of power, and hydrolock.

yes, when I turn the key....you can feel a jerk....and as explained...hydrolock does fit the bill....if this makes sense -I sort of figured that was happening and lifted the hood.....then grabbed the belt....of course with everything turned off....and tugged many times on the belt until is turned a bit.....then went into the car...and it started....

yes, it did have a tendency to want to run towards the red on two hills....but did not touch.....the red.

yes, there is loss of power.....the car since I bought it had no balls.....I drove it like an old lady at the 50mph....and took it easy up the hills....lots of yoil changes...etc....I babies it for 70,000 km....I gave this girl a slick 50 treatment too.....that is 70,000km ago....

what you are saying about the gaskets....could you explain more please that is interesting.....

now can you explain the differents costs between a bad intake gasket leaking water from the coolant passage into the intake tract.....things are starting to be recalled -when I initially bought the vehicle the guy told me he never had the proper antifreeze in his car one winter......and when he took his cap off.....it spoooed out slush.....he said it happened going down the highway.....when it was 25 belown out......it was good for 20 below he said...

I would imagine frost plugs would of worked if it did freeze.....he said other than that it worked great.....reason for selling was the rust...

so as they say every vehicle has a story......if you could explain what you think would put my mind to rest.....I know you know your stuff.....as it does fit in....

thanks..

Well, unfortunately it's certainly sounding like a cracked head or head gasket, but Northwet makes a good point about the intake gasket. I've heard of people adding some sort of conditioner in the cooling system to try and seal a cracked head or leaky head gasket, but I've never heard of any success with this method, usually just clocks the radiator and other things you don't want clogged up. Probably best to save your money and not bother with it.

On the suggestion of using water instead of coolant, the only reason I can think that you'd want to do this is to save some $$$$. You'll probably find that it will start drinking a bit of coolant now, and it can get expensive to keep adding more coolant, where as water is cheap to use as a top up. Using water isn't going to do your cooling system any good in the long term, but sounds like this motor hasn't got much time left anyway. Also, water will be no good if you are in an area where the temps drop below freezing.

Providing you can still get the motor started and keep it topped up with coolant you could keep driving it, won't really matter too much, just as the crack/head gasket leak gets worse it will get to the point where you won't be able to keep any coolant in the motor because it will just blow it all out the overflow :(

It does not seem to be blowing the coolant......which I always thought it would....it drinks it....or burns it.....comes out the join in my exhaust and tail pipe...... now would I end up in the middle of nowhere with a major tow bill????

I would imagine that could possibly happen....:brow: