Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Update: Roof rack rattles pretty bad..what to do?

went to work and back today, no rattling!! so, on with the front crossbar first..will drive it a bit and see...then the rear one..then those mounting caps for each one of the rails...i WILL conquer this!! i hope...:D

well, tried to tighten all of the screws in the rails and they were all real tight, so that's not the answer...if i went ahead and took them off, could i possibly add some kind of stuff under the rails to keep them quiet? also, if the screws are all tight, whats causing the racket?

would turn up the stereo but dont have one :(

if all the mounting hardware is tightened down enough, and it still rattles, I'd have to say that something is broken! there aren't any broken cross rails or anything that you noticed, are there?

wiggle everything on it until you find the loose part. then apply 1/2 - 1 roll of duct tape or your favorite adhesive type product :brow:

I don't know about yours, but my '84 was missing some of the adjustable knobs and the sliding plate that they screw into was rattling around. When I'd come to a stop I could hear them slide to the front, then slide to the back when I started off. I just tightened the knobs I had all the way to the back and that kept them quiet till I found some more knobs.

My guess is its the plastic end pieces on each rail vibrating against the roof. Pull them out and see if the noise stops.

nah, have all the knobs and plates and stuff...its a rattling sound, not a sliding type of sound..kinda like pinging...if ya bang your hand on top of the rails you can make the same sound it does whenever i go over 45....:D

could be the tracks on the roof itself have started to come off a bit. my '85 must have had lots of heavy loads put up top 'cause if you pushed on the roof, the metal sunk down, but the tracks would stay level.

Never had any problems with vibrations, mind you you can't hear much when she's revving up around 6g's:brow:

well, took off the crossbars and any other loose bits...the outer rails are on by screws and the inner two by pop rivets...if you get down low and level with the roof and rails you can see where the rails are lifting from the roof with the rivets...

so, if taking off all those bits doesnt help and it still rattles then i know those are the problem and i am sol, if the noise goes away, then i will put on one crossbar at a time and check for noise..

thanx everyone!

alan