Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cracked head? (not mine - the subies)

How can I tell if my head is cracked? Well duh, besides the obvious...

I pulled off my pass side head (I know that was the problem side for sure) and all I can see is a very minor crack between the valves on one cylinder. I'm talkin really minor here too...

I did the HG on this side about 5 months ago, but when I was pulling it off again, it seemed like the head bolts might have loosened off some, so I'm thinking maybe it is just a HG problem.

So I guess my question is - can head cracks that cause real problems (coolant usage and steam out the tailpipe) be internal and not visible on normal inspection, or is this most likely just a HG prob that would have been fixed by re-torquing the head bolts.

I'm hoping for the second, but if not I'm off to the JY to pull a head tomorrow...

You have to pull the valves to see if the cracks extend into the ports.

What kind of HG's did you use? Anything but SOA tends to be problematic.

I'm a cheapass - used felpro.

Guess I'll pull the valves and take a good look.

You're always good for a quick response Snowman - cheers:drunk:

I just pulled the head off my brat, it has a slight crack in the same place as yours. It was causing major problems, lots of white smoke. Take it to a maching shop, they can pressure test it and tell for sure if it's cracked. BTW, i'm looking for a passenger side head for an ea71

How can I tell if my head is cracked? Well duh, besides the obvious...

I pulled off my pass side head (I know that was the problem side for sure) and all I can see is a very minor crack between the valves on one cylinder. I'm talkin really minor here too...

I did the HG on this side about 5 months ago, but when I was pulling it off again, it seemed like the head bolts might have loosened off some, so I'm thinking maybe it is just a HG problem.

So I guess my question is - can head cracks that cause real problems (coolant usage and steam out the tailpipe) be internal and not visible on normal inspection, or is this most likely just a HG prob that would have been fixed by re-torquing the head bolts.

I'm hoping for the second, but if not I'm off to the JY to pull a head tomorrow...

Hey guy I'll probly have a couple of sets of heads around after I swap motors and scrap one of these gl-10 sedans so let me know if you need one. I've got a N/A set and turbo set [you need N/A right?]... pay for the trip on the bus and they're yours.