Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mechanic split ... what now?

Long story short ..... the guy who was putting the new motor in my 80 dl hatch split --- said he didn't have the time to work on my car. He was doing this for free so I can't complain too much. Anyway ... I bought a jdm hydro lifter ea71 to replace the ea71 with a dead cylinder. He pulled the old motor out and never got around to getting the new one in.... I think I can handle getting it back in the car, but I'm worried that I don't have the right tools to do it. Any advice before I start to tackle this on my own? All the accessories still need moved over from the old us ea71 over to the jdm ea71. I can tell just by looking at it that the emmisions aren't the same. My biggest worry is getting the timing right once the motor is in.

Help. I've been without a vehicle waiting on this one ... and the significant other is tired of driving me to work. Quite frankly, I'm tired of her driving me to work. One more chick song and I'll lose it. :-\

do you have access to a garage, tools, or an engine hoist?get a set of wrenches (or sockets) size 8mm-18mm, an ajustable wrench, a crow bar, a hammer, 2 hands, and some elbow grease.while both motors are out, switch the accessories off the original motor onto the new one, make sure everything is tight.then take the hoist and sit the motor in its correct position (it might need a little convincing with the crow bar).first bolt up the tranny and flywheel, so the motor can move around a little.then bolt in the motor mounts, ect.you want the motor totally bolted in before connecting electrical wires, and linkages.then add oil and gas.in case, when you go to start it, be ready to shut it off.do you have a timing gun?you could also find someone to do it for around $4-500.its probly a good days work, but you will learn how to do many things in the process.let us know your decision & good luck with it.

Jon

It doesn't look too difficult to get it in place ... the thing I am most worried about is timing and getting all the vacuum stuff right ... I do have a garage to use... but my time may conflict with some of the other stuff they have to use it for.