Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how can i change from dl to gl-10 turbo steering wheel?

hi to all.

i have a subaru leone dl automatic.

latly i got a steering wheel of subaru loyale gl-10 year 85 that have a 2 push bottems on its right side-it saphose to work as crose control, i wand to change my steering wheel to the gl-10 one...i took out mine and the new one fit to its place but on its back side it have some holse for connecting and when im turning the steering wheel to one side -its stuck and dont want to move, also the horn doesnt work.

how can i make it work, only the horn!

does anyone did that before? changing from dl-gl steering wheel to an gl-10 steering wheel?

the one that i have of the gl-10, its a new one , its looks just great....how can i make it work?

thank you all, i hope you can help me with any halp thet you can

thank you.

moshe.

I did this once a long time ago, and my memory is kinda fuzzy. The GL steering wheel has a spiral cable in it, where it plugs into the steering column- to transfer electrical signals. The DL wheel has nothing but a contact ring for the horn glued to the back of the wheel. You need to remove this spiral cable from the GL wheel, and glue the contact ring from the DL wheel onto the back of the GL one, with the little tab on it sticking through the hole that the spiral cable came out of. The actual contact for the horn is the same.

I hope that actually made sense.

The cars with cruise control had a plastic spinning ring with 3 contacts on it instead of the single metal rod.

You need to buy this before you try anything else.

After that, remove your old wheel & the cowling, & remove the sprung metal rod (it should be held in with a screw)

The plastic spinning ring will now be able to be screwed on (there are 4 holes where it will line up to)

You will also need to hook up the wire for the horn from the plastic ring (it'll be the same colour as the single rod wire (GB - Breen with Black stripe I think)

Attached your new wheel, reattached the cowling & away you go.

Get the gl-10 Column if you can and the variable speed intermitant wiper box..you'll simply need to splice the gl-10 horn wire into the DL harness (green wire with black stripe) replace the intermitant wiper unit with the gl-10 one, install steering column and voila you have gl-10 steering wheel with tilt adjustment and variable speed intermitant wipers...all other electrical connectors are plug and play..hope that made sense..