Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Windows?? OH NO!!!!!!!!!

Yup, my newest soobie is an 89 4WD GL with power windows. Some of them are going out (the motor sounds slow and the window rolls down slllooooooow). Are these tough to change? Is it just one part inside the door?

also, try the individual door switches and not the master controller...the master one tends to get ick and stuff on the contacts and that creates the slow roll down/up situtation...i just got a new controller for my 89 and it works alot better...

I just converted my 85 from mostly nonfunctional power windows to hand cranks all the way around. Is that what your considering?

If so I'll mention that it took me a while to figure out that I didn't have to pull the window glass at all. Leave the glass rolled up, and pull the bolts out at each end of the bottom of the glass. Then the guts come out through the big hole near the bottom of the door. It was a lot easier to do than it first looked, once I figured it out. I'd never been inside a car door before.

When trying to get the guts out through the big hole, you have to really slide the tracks around to the most compact configuration possible. Experiment. It will come out.

I guess if your just trying to get the whole power mechanism out for service, same deal. Except you can take the motor off with out removing anything else.

I hate power windows. Never met one that worked right for long.

Pyro

This sounds stupid, but check your charging system. If you've got a battery/alt on its way out, your windows may be very slow and may not even roll up all the way.

Regulators, on scale of 1-10, 10 being hardest, are about a 4. The worst thing is expense. You risk breaking a JY one upon removal, and new ones are pricey and hard-to-find.

If so I'll mention that it took me a while to figure out that I didn't have to pull the window glass at all. Leave the glass rolled up, and pull the bolts out at each end of the bottom of the glass. Then the guts come out through the big hole near the bottom of the door. It was a lot easier to do than it first looked, once I figured it out. I'd never been inside a car door before.

Pyro

you can shove a rubber hose between the door sill and the window to keep it in place so it doenst fall down on you