Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wrong plug wires.

I went to a local parts store today to stock up on some parts that would be needed later on. They are going out of business and have a 50% off sale now. I got some plug wires, Belcon lifetime for my 85 2dr Hatchback. Drove home(20miles) and tried to put them on. The shortest wire on the car is longer than 3 of the wires in the box. I had to take them back and the guy came out and looked at my car and then in a book once more and then said to me: "You have an 84 engine" He said by the time the car gets to the US and titled it is 1 year old. I kinda laughed and said that sure is strange, then got my money back. WHAT THE HECK IS HE TALKING ABOUT? The title says 85 so the engine should be 85 correct? 1.8 carbed ea81!

Any thoughts on this?

Yeah my housemate has an 86 hatch, and they try to give him ea-82 parts all the time.

The overlap when both engines/bodies were produced and sold really fuks with the parts guys. Especially since, say, an 86 Hatch and an 86 Wagon could both be reffered to as an "86 GL".

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the VIN 5 car is ea82, and the VIN 4 car is EA81?

I think that the basic problem is that the "computerized" parts systems are not properly setup for Subarus. They get really confused that there are both EA81s and EA82s available in 1985 and next few years. So the counter person really doesn't have a clue unless she/he grabs a book... and how often does that happen?

I keep getting EA81 parts given to me for my EA82T. Just got to convince the parts guy that your Hatch has an EA81 in it.

they guy at the parts store has NO IDEA what he was taking about - my car took about 2 months to get to Florida from Japan (my parents bought it new in 1985, so I know the date of purchase and the date of manufacture as it is stamped on the driver's side door pillar)

VIN 4 and 5 is 2WD vs. 4WD - I don't know which is which - but tell them whatever you feel like, because the parts are pretty much the same

your car IS a 1985 - the guy at the parts store just has no idea what he was doing - that is unfortunately quite common :-\

just tell them it is an '84 to make your life easier - the two cars are almost identical

you ended up with ea82 wires

the hatch will fall into 80-84 listings. ea82's fall into 85-94 listings

sometimes the hatch will be listed 80-89 and ea82 85-89, since 90-94 is loyale(ea82)

make sure to specify ovc or ohc, the first being ea81 and latter being ea82

This was a one time deal, I wont be going back to that store(going out of business) and will always talk to the friendly guys at NAPA which is closer and they are more knowledgeable then the other store. At least they ask if it is ea81 or ea82, carb or turbo.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Geesh!! I read this NOW after just coming back from the parts store...getting tune-up stuff for the coupe. Lucky for me (ha! Lucky....my coupes name) The Girl working the counter knew more than any of the guys do (I went to Advanced Auto).

Keeping my fingers crossed I got the right parts...going to put on tomorrow.

if you order ea82 parts ask for a 90 loyale. if ea81 parts ask fopr 84 wagon or 87 brat, as there will be no confusion over these vs say for example 85 2wd 5spd ea82 wagon and 85 2wd 5spd hatch. same year and driveline, different parts.

90 loyale will eliminate any ea81's and 87 brat will eliminate ea82's as far as confusions of listings