Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions

Hay i understand that the 1600 pistons out of the ea71 fit the ea81. is this so? what advantages does this give? Higher compresion and there for more power, what? Also being that my Brumby is 13 years old the coil is also 13 so im thinking about getting a new one so what what do you recomend? The answers to these questions would be very helpful, thanks.

You are 100% correct, EA71 pistons increase compression and you will notice it. If I were putting in new pistons though I'd also put in a Tighe camshaft (www.tighecams.com.au) at the same time.

I have used an Accel Supercoil on an EA81 with success, however opinions vary. Also upgrade to Repco 8mm silicone leads. Run the car on Optimax and advance the timing to suit.

Last of all if you're spending money on this kinda suff you should also invest in a Weber carb.

All up you should be looking at close to 100hp for the finished thing.

So EA71 Pistons, Tighe camshaft, Accel Supercoil, Repco 8mm Leads, optimax fuel and timing to suit and a Webber right, got it, thanks. Should i go for dual webbers or does the cons outweigh the pros?? Optimax fuel is 98 octane and sold by shell right? Thanks again.

Hay i was also thinking that with these mods i should change my exhaust to 1.75" pipe for custom extractors then going into a Cat Converter coming out a 2.5" pipe into a nice turbo muffler i think that would give the sound i want and the power plus get rid of that current popping/Farting noise when i back off due to low back pressure. anyways thats just my thoughts, im open to your opinions. i realised the other day that ive learnt more about older gen Subarus from this board in 2 months than being an apprentice mechanic at a dealership for a year and a half. anyways thanks again.

Fair enough, however I've used Repco leads on all my Subarus and never had any problems.

Twin Webers are good, but really, how much air do you need in there? You'll be more than happy with just one.

keep the standard headers and go with a 2.25" exhaust with a Lukey turbo muffler.

Thanks for all the advice but with the exhaust but ive already had the exhaust changed to some extractors with no cat and a 2" pipe and high flow lukey muffler and 3" stainless tip. And it gargles, pops and farts everytime i get off the gas. now afterreading on this site i understand that i need more back pressure so this is why i thought about the 1.75" custom headers and a cat then into 2.5" into a turbo muffler to give more back pressure and the deep growling exhaust note that i want

I have 2" exhuast all the way. It sounds sweet. I do get a bit of that "popping" but its not very loud and its kinda rally car like :D

I run a Mallory Promaster coil now. Got it off ebay for $30. I didn't notice any diff until after I opened up the gap on my "VERY OLD" denso plugs. I also got some Eagle 9mm leads, done just that extra 3hp me thinks, would prolly be much better with new plugs. I was thinking of doing a 2 pipe mod with my ute. Where the two 2" pipes connect together, just cut them off then run two pipes (with out the cat) to the back of the car, or maybe to just infront of the rear wheels.

The EA71 pistons sound like a nice idea. I thought because the EA81's are bigger that means longer stroke tho. Surly the pistons would have to be longer to make that up, or is there sometihng to do with the wrist point?

Basicly I'd say just buy a "good looking" "good brand" coil, and you can also pick up some 11mm Eagle leads, know they would look SWEET.:grin:

EDIT:

Today, 02:33 AM

Man... you stay up late huh? Working on the car?

I sat down tonite while wating for a pizza and worked out that to do all that it would cost about 2 - 3 grand without touching the exterior or interior and sill only having the power of a stock vp comadore. where as if i did a EJ conversion it would probably cost a little more and i would have the same amout of power but then i would have the abbility to then add a turbo and computer etc. i dunno what im gunna do yet. the EA would be more fun and easer to do but the EJ would more fun once its in but a pain to do ah we'll see what happens.:-\

Maybe i should buy another brumby and do both, maybe a gen one with the EJ and a Gen 2 with the EA or vice versa. tell me what you think of that.

PS the EJ will get te new STI 6 Speed and the EA will get a EA82 5 Speed