Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87gl with starting confusion.

Hello All,

I was curious if anyone else knows what would cause intermittent starts on an 87 gl?

I had it checked by the mechanic, but they said that everything was normal...

Please let me know if this happened to you. (and if so, how you fixed it ^^ )

Every once and a while (about 6 times or so) i would stop at a store or something, and when I tried to restart the car, it would click by the air intake and by the starter. After a few moments it would start and run like normal.

What gets me, is then it will run just fine for a few weeks.

When it first happened, the nose was up on an angle, so I thought it might of been fuel delivery. I started parking with the nose down and was good for a few weeks until it happened again.

The car is mildly modded, but nothing more then air intake (went cone vs box) new ignition coil (forgot the type, but had it in for over a year), one of those 'tornado' things (heh, figured for 50$ i give it a shot, it worked amazingly enough {added 3mpg ^^ ) new wires, new 4 pronged plugs, and opened the exhaust to 3" w/ turbo muffler.. nothing that would cause intermitent starts?

It just passed emisions 2 weeks back, so thats good...

I dunno... I want to keep the car as with all the mods its about 150hp and 20-23 mpg but this is getting annoying.

Thanks in advance for any help in this.

It could be the Starter Contacts.

Just to be sure tho make sure to check your connections on the starter and solenoid.

Usually if you hear a CLICK everytime you try and turn the key to the start position but nothing happens its the solenoid.

But if there is no noise and the starter just doesn't engadge until you either tap it with a hammer or play with the key a few times its the contacts.

Pretty cheap repair.