Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Murphy" the $500 87 T-Wag update

Time for a trip to the junk yard! I will replace the knock sensor tomorrow as the old one is fried. Fluid has leaked out the side cause it was melted by the previous owner. Then I will re-time it correctly with the green plug things plugged together. The cruise control and AC do not work. The tranny is still leaking a bit, but I can't tell if it's the tranny or the front diff, or both. Murph seems to run a little hot, but that could be because of the slightly incorrect timing. Oh, and I am still not sure if the kick-down relay is working. Tomorrow.

PS. How do you lube the sun roof guide?

pics at SonicfrogBlog

Not bad, I picked up an '83 for $400. Little rust but if I get my rump roast in gear. I can take care of it. One of the problems that I have is the vacumme advance on the distributer is AFU and I need a new one. Advance Auto says I ahve to buy the whole distributer...:banghead: So I disconnected the line and gave it a tweak to advance. Can you buy just the vacumme advance or do ya have to get the whole shamallie?? NIce car, but a freakin dog!!! Can't get past 70......:D

Get to the junk yard at 4:15 with plenty of time to spare.... or so I though. As I walked up to the entrance, the addmission lady told me that I only have 10 minutes instead of an hour. They now close at 4:30 on Sundays instead of 5:30. Damned It All!!!! BUT! This story has a really happy ending. I was at the very last section of imports, having no luck at all finding a compatable turbo subie. Just as they anounced they were closing, I saw it! The next to last car in the import section was an 87 Turbo Sedan. I swooped!!! Opened the hood. YES!!! The engine was still there and the knock sensor was the perfect match. In moments I had it in my hands. I am pleased to say that my Check Engine light is now off. The sensor cost? $4.50 + $2.00 for junk yard entrance. This is much better than the $77 + they wanted at the dealer. Tomorrow I will (if I have time) get Murphy smogged, insured, and registered.

Next repairs: cruise control and A/C (it's getting hot here in the valley).