Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stuck trying to remove EFI

I downloaded the manual for the EA82 SPFI swap. Read it a few times, and the first thing I notice is that the feller who wrote it put a lot of hard work and time into it. Great job. Next thing I noticed is that it's not a manual for dummies. (like me) I'm pretty electronicly challenged, yet mechanically inclined. There just isn't much info there on REMOVING the harness. I don't have it in front of me, but I think all it says is "remove complete harness", or something like that.

So I hoped maybe that part would be self explanitory. Well not for a dummy it aint.

I got the fender off, stripped all the tape and protective tube off, pulled the plastic off from under the steering colum, then dropped the computor, pulled the plugs. Then I cut away the big rubber grommet in on the drivers side where the wires go through, chased down the o2 sensor, stripped it back, but jeeze, theres freaking wires everywhere. Actually, theres only 6 to maybe ten, that come from the engine compartment and are surely part of the harness, but don't go to the computor, and a few more that leave the computor but don't seem to go to the EFI system. I don't know what to do with these.

I'm to tired right now to study the manual any more tonight or to putz with it at all, and besides, I'm feeling pretty sure I'm in over my head. Maybe the old Hitache aint so bad after all. Runs fine, just thought it would be cool to upgrade.

Maybe later, cause I don't see how with my limited knowledge anybody could talk me through this. Am I wrong?

Should I give up?

I really think that if I could get the right stuff out of the donar car the right way, that the manual is pretty complete as far as putting it all back together and making it work.

Hmm. Better go throw pots. My brains fried from trying to figure out all those wires.

Pyro

thats not to bad man.....i had to do it to an EJ22 harness, how hard do you think that is? I say stay at it, you already did a good amount of work on it. dont bag it yet, best bet is to remove the whole harness form the car, and then figure out which wires you need and dont need, it will bewell worht the extra 10 ponies and much better driveablity, not to mention, not having to warm the damn thing up before you leave your driveway!!!

~Josh~

Removing entire harness is an option.

Thing is, I've never owned a vehicle with fuel infection before, so I don't know squat from first hand experience.

I'd like to see a manual called "removing entire SPFI harness to prepare for swap". I'm joking of course, I know that's not gonna happen.

Well see. No hurry, Hitache runs fine for now, and have lots of other projects to tend to.

Learning this stuff is a curve, takes time, but I'm a stubborn old coot, might just figure it out before winter. Might not too.

Pyro

thats not to bad man.....i had to do it to an EJ22 harness, how hard do you think that is? I say stay at it, you already did a good amount of work on it. dont bag it yet, best bet is to remove the whole harness form the car, and then figure out which wires you need and dont need, it will bewell worht the extra 10 ponies and much better driveablity, not to mention, not having to warm the damn thing up before you leave your driveway!!!

~Josh~