Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bearing questions

Hello. I need to replace my wheel bearings, no big deal (I hope). But I was thinking of going to a bearing warehouse, or what not, and getting some high grade, sealed, bearings. good idea or not?

And could I have the bearing numbers for a 4wd 1987 GL-10 or equivalent.

Thanks for your time.

[HTi]Johnson

Fronts are 6207 deep groove balls (SKF). If you get sealed ones, take the inner seal of each off and throw it away. You will then need to wash all of the grease out of them before you can put different stuff in.

I think there is an advantage to having a bearing with a seal on the outer side. I find that the hub seals leak when driving through deep water. If you have some grease between the hub seal and your bearing seal any water will get trapped there and wont get into your bearings.

However, if you don't drive through rivers etc there is no advantage to sealed bearings.

By the way, the reason i say you should remove the inner bearing seals is to allow extra grease from betwen the bearings to circulate. This will extend the relubrication interval.

Hey HTI,

I bought mine from this outfit in Bend, but I see that they have a presence in Eugene, (I only saved a few bucks over NAPA)

Applied Maintenance America

3150 W 5th ave

Eugene, OR 97402

(541) 485-0022

I have not searched to see if they have a web presence, but that may be an option.

Pyro,