Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto Tranny Info (87 T-Wag)

After doing some reading, I have concluded my A/T is a 3 spd part time 4wd. Is this the same 3 spd that's in the non-turbo models? The reason I ask is that I have a used 3 spd pt 4 wd tranny in my garage and need to replace my tranny before I drive down to San Diego in July. If the only difference is the spline count on the front diff, can I just swap out the spline parts on the diff? Does this make any sense? Or can I put a 4 spd A/T ft 4wd from an 88 - 92 in the 87 with no modifications???

The spline count on all the 3ATs is the same. - 23 spline. HOwever, it is said that the turbo model is 'beefier' to deal with the extra power. The NA model should work in the short term if not abused. Should be a straight swap.

The FT4wd 4EAT (turbo model) is a 25 spline tranny, so you would need the 25 spline axles to go with it. Additionally, it has its own computer and seperate wiring harness that would have to be installed

is your conclusin of the spline cout from what you looked at or what you read? the turbo 3at is the same as the non turbo, th eonly thing different is the stall rate of the torque converter. torque converters between turbo and non, pump shafts and anythig else are interchangeable between all 3spds ea82 and ea81.

the turbo 3at has the fatter axles and doj like the 25 spline full time or MT axle, but it still has a 23 spline. so regular axles will fit on the 3at turbo, or 3at turbo axles can be used with non turbo manual trannies such as the dual range

what kind of problems are you having with the tranny? if its a matter of not shifting into 3rd suspect the governor asembly before deducing the tranny itself as junk

take off the cover on the paseenger side, the round piece with 3 bolts and pull out the governor shaft. inspect the gear. if the gear is worn down like an apple core this may be from low or inadequate lubrication for the front diff. the front diff takes regular gear lube liek the rear diff or a manual tranny and has its own dipstick and fill tube

if the gear onb the governor looks good, clean it up really good, soak it in penetrany overnite and spray it out with carb cleaner. the shaft installs such as a distributor does but it doesnt have to align to anything, the mechanism works on centrifugal force relative to the speed of the front diff. see if this fixes your problem first before considering another tranny

if it does come to replacing the tranny, all 86 and older trannys have a 3.7 final gear ratio. 87 and up turbo trannys have a 3.7 gear and non turbo a 3.9

ea81 trannies are physically the same but the rear mount is about an inch or 2 short, so an adapter would have to be fabricated

report back with your symptoms

is your conclusin of the spline cout from what you looked at or what you read? the turbo 3at is the same as the non turbo,

Read it again fox. It said essentially the same thing you are saying..The differentiation between facts (observed) and popular opinion are quite clear. I have a book on reading compreshension I could loan you if you would like.

Oh and if you must know, its from personal observation. On my own cars even.

The tranny I have is marked on the reciept as a EA82 3 spd pt 4wd. The old tranny has a few problems. The worst is the torque converter slips when I make a sharp right or left hand turn. and slips alot when cold. The fluid is new, but, even though it's not recomended, I do have it slightly overfilled as the slipping is much less pronounced when over filled. Other problems are that both the diff and tranny housings leak a lot. And a couple of the fluid pan bolt are broken off on the A/T. The previous owner really fried the engine and I suspect the tranny too. The new engine is running great, but I have to get the car long distance ready for a road trip to SD. And the A/c needs to be fixed.

sounds good. not because your tranny is toast, but you have a spare that will fit like it is. thanx for filling me in on the problem, knowing all that i would replace the tranny since you have a spare, it all fits the same

caleb, while im waiting for your reading comprehension book in the mail, people will come to me for answers

sorry miles the only way to fix cross leaking would be to take the diff housing apart from the at itself. unless youre up for a challenge it would be easier to replace the whole tranny. you shouldnt have a hard tome finding one out there. but for all the effort maybe you could consider a 5spd of some sort