Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clack Clack Clack!

I thought I`d ask right off, what is the cause and remedy for the inherent clacking in many of the older Subaru engines? My roomate has a GL that has a bad case, and it's getting to the point it either needs fixed, or it needs a louder stereo.

You could get tied up for days reading all the questions and answers about ticking/clacking/knocking.

What folks here cal TOD is lifter noise. Hope thats what you got. If not, could be anything from rod knock, crank walk, to piston slap or even mains.

I say if it goes away when it's warmed up, ride it till it dies. And if every week it's getting a little louder, start preparing for a new engine or a major rebuild.

Good luck and have fun!

Regards

Pyromanic

oil pump.

fixed my 'clack' right away :}

the USRM has an excellent write-up on how to change it

good luck !!

Well then, I guess that proves that yours was TOD. Oil pumps don't fix bearing, crank, or piston skirt noise. (I have been told that piston slap is nearly no-existant in these engines)

Maybe a good question is how to tell the difference. One way has already been mentioned, listen with a screwdriver or mechanics stethascope to track it down.

I'd just hate to see somebody spend the dough on a new oil pump trying address a bearing problem.

Pyro