Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition problems

Take off your distributor cap and bump the engine with starter to see if your rotor moves. Chances are it's not going to which means you have a broken timing belt on that side. Report back and let us know and we can help troubleshoot further if needed. Normally a broken timing belt is the first thing most of us guess at.

Not a big problem, just need to replace your timing belts (yes there is 2 of them, only one is probably broken but replace them both while in there). The EA82T's are non-interference engines so nothing should've happened. You will need to tear down to the timing covers and remove them. Not a big or hard job just takes a bit of time. While your in there you might want to replace your cam/crank seals and maybe your tensioners/waterpump just for the hell of it. I think there is a good write up about changing timing belts in the USRM.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=24

get a breaker bar and butt it agains the driver side of the fender. take off the cooil wire. bump the starter and that will towque it loose. driver side i mean left hand drive us models. if you are right hand drive, it would be the passenger side

Ok. Now i have changed the distributor, mounted the coil(i didnt know the bracket that holds the coil was earth, that was probably the problem:) ) and now i have spark. But the car still wont start. I'm not shure i have got the timing correct. Can that be the problem?

i've found out that i timed the belt after the btdc-mark, and not the three lines in a row. I guess that would make the timing 180 degrees wrong. I'm going to fix that tomorrow, and hopefully it will start then.. It's an ea82t by the way, i've read something here about some test connectors, but don't know what that is

i've found out that i timed the belt after the btdc-mark, and not the three lines in a row. I guess that would make the timing 180 degrees wrong. I'm going to fix that tomorrow, and hopefully it will start then.. It's an ea82t by the way, i've read something here about some test connectors, but don't know what that is

I was wondering the same thing about the green test connectors -why should they be connected in order to time the engine (if you've had the distributor out then you will need to fine tune/time it with a lamp and the connectors attached -but why?!!)

Not even 180degrees out -its a random amount out -the three marks are not related as such to the TDC position.

Can anyone say what to time the engine to ?20btdc? -at what rpm etc as that is bound to be the next step once the belts are on the right way.

the green connectors simulate the act of plugging the vac line to e machanical disty. this way when you set the initial timing it doesnt advance4 and move around on you, but stays still. the green connectors also cycle the fuel puym and its relay to check if its working while the car is not running

timing for all 87 and later is 20 deg. carbs are 8 deg. 85-86 turbo is 25 deg

you must use the green connector to accurately time the distributor. yes 20 deg btdc.

86 spfi the test connectors are under the dash. 87 and later models the connetors are under the hood

turbo models are under the dash

xt models the connectors are under the rear deck

you will want to leave the connectors unplugged any other time and during normal driving

I would try spraying a little starter fluid into the intake to see if that helps get things going. If that doesn't work then I would think you have a timing problem. You could try moving the distributor while cranking the engine to see if that will help. If it tries to start then you may be a tooth off with the distributor.

when you install the disty you will want t onstall it at the o mark. to guess the timing without a light the disty sshould be 3/4 turned to the right within the range of its adj. slot. a lot of times you can see a shiny spot where thehead of the bolt was at before

when the flywheel mark is showing o deg, the passenger cam pulley will have the dot lined up with the top ridge of the flat part of the valve cover, just below the word SUBARU. the driver side dot will be rougly 4:30 o clock

The cams are timed correctly, the distributor should be timed correctly. But i only seem to get one spark from the ignition just when I turn the key. Anybody know why it's only that one spark? it should spark continiously i guess

the one spark is the coil turning on and off, withthe key. its not getting signal from the disty.

one of my cars did this, when i turned the key i had no spark but it sparked once when i turned it opff or quit cranking. i ran a hotwire to the coil from the battery and it would start for some reason. it sparked fine as long as it was turning, but nmot when turning the key. a push start would work every time

try jumping from the battery to the coil with alligator clips. this will turn the car on even with no key. see if she starts. if she does start take theleads off and see if she still rund

note: if you get the car to run like this it will continue to run with the key off until you disconnect the jumper