Ultimate Subaru Message Board

problem with starting the car

i bought this old 88 DL a few days ago and we sorta fixed the prblem on it in of the hoses was pinched but we still have the problem where the car takes like 30min to heat up before we can take her out for a spin

its a 5spd

also thinking about looking for an other subaru to make into one of these off-roading machines you guys have what would be the best

thanks for the help

also wheres the best place to pick up an owners manual

well the problem before was the car wouldnt run really at all then we fixed that hose.

now its its like it takes 30min before we can drive the car. when we first start it you can t give it any gas or it wil jsut die. also the idle seems high not really to sure on what to do.

maybe the temp sensor for the ecu is shot. this is what lets the car know when its at operating temp and meters the injector. for examole, i had this turbo car that would run fine when cold, but when it warmed up it ran like crap and if it stalled it would have to sit for a while before it would start

first step you should inspect and clean the terminal for the temp sensor(its not the one for the gauge, the gauge sensor has one wire and a flat terminal))

the ecu temp sensor is located on the thermostat housing, it has a green plug and 2 wires. clean the contacts to it and se if that makes a difference. if not find one at the junk yard. usually the ones that are bad are from cars that have been overheated to the point it cooks them. a new one will set you bck some 80 bucks, so might as well grab a handful of them from a junkyard as the can be pocket items

10 w 40 or 15 w 40 oil, about 4.5 to 5 quarts. add the oil and filter. trart the car for a minute or so and re-check the oil once it circulates thru

do you suppose the spark plug wires are mixed up? does the car backfire or kick back when trying to start it?

maybe it does backfire almost took my eyes out we removed the hose from the intake box to see if it would make a difference i got to see a nice firework from 2 feet away. lol. after that we looked in the throttle body and it was smoking quite a bit not sure on what that ment.

we are planning to take a look at the spark plugs tomorrow and maybe an oil change. the oil in there right now seems to be doing alright tho not super black maybe 1500 miles in or so but who knows how long its been in there.

thanks for all your help too

ok since you have a backfire i will say the spark plug wires are out of order.

#1 cylinder is the front on the thermostat side. 3 behind it, 2 is the front on the batteryside, 4 behind it

#1 on the cap is the farthest back terminal to the right of the screw/clip. firing order is 1-3-2-4, counterclockwise

i will bet you a dollar this is your problem. good luck