Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake shudder

Need some help, this is sending me around the bend, get brake shudder below 30 mph (say 50kph) through steering wheel, it's fine above that, now I have replaced everything in the front end, and I mean everything, from hub to hub, however I suspect that one DOJ may be suspect(new unit), had the experts look for cause, they can't find, rotated wheels and swapped tyres, I have new and others to test, but as now all the front has been renewed , suggestions where to look thats not obvious would be a great help. I still don't like the L/H side DOJ, has some movement, but not a great deal. This is ongoing problem for a while now and each time I renew an item, it helps a little then back to it's self within a couple of thousand kilometers or so, and I do a lot of KLms. Seems ther is something we are not looking at, something not so obvious.. Any hints?...

Need some help, this is sending me around the bend, get brake shudder below 30 mph (say 50kph) through steering wheel, it's fine above that, now I have replaced everything in the front end, and I mean everything, from hub to hub, however I suspect that one DOJ may be suspect(new unit), had the experts look for cause, they can't find, rotated wheels and swapped tyres, I have new and others to test, but as now all the front has been renewed , suggestions where to look thats not obvious would be a great help. I still don't like the L/H side DOJ, has some movement, but not a great deal. This is ongoing problem for a while now and each time I renew an item, it helps a little then back to it's self within a couple of thousand kilometers or so, and I do a lot of KLms. Seems ther is something we are not looking at, something not so obvious.. Any hints?...

Sorry, it's an EA82 Wagon, manual steer 5 speed...

Don't drive eblow 50km/h!

Seriously though, you have replaced everything? What exactly is everything?

Well, I didnt want to go through the lot, suffice to say,rims and tyres, hubs, bearings , full struts includeing bearings, knuckles, discs, pads, rack and pinion, steering uni's, shaft's, sway bar bushes, various torsion rubbers, lower ball joints, checked mounts and etc, etc.. Thats why I'm at a loss....

Only under slow brakeing, well, under 50klmph, it really shudders, have been told, well everything checks out OK, so they don't know! Thanks for response, I will track this down, feel it may be something that I will have to rectify myself, the vehicle suffers from continous suffering a week over OK to bad gravel roads( oxymoron, roads) and at 660,000 klm's I certainly can't complain, I have kept the poor buggar on the road day in day out and will be sad to see when I have to replace it. Previous vehicles have lasted between three and five years subject to the same conditions, the EA82 will have been doing the job for fifteen when it retires...

As an addition, when I give it to a workshop to get a repair because of time restraint or where equipment I don't have is involved I always have to do a check over the vehicle to retify a bit here and there , however this has been only on a few occasions, the other times the EA is done by myself, and by that I feel the vehicle contributes a lot more than I do..........