Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 Questions:

How do I replace the bulb for illumination behind my Cruise button (not the orange "on" light, but the backlighting)?

What types of bulbs are used to light up the dash, like behind the speedo and tach? I just replaced my auto shifter backlight and now its way brighter than the dash so if the dash uses the same bulbs I can upgrade all of them. I just did the HVAC backlights and they were these tiny green things, the shifter was a standard bulb. I guess the next question is how to replace dash bulbs...

Does anyone else have this much trouble with interior lighting at 130K miles? : )

andy

2 Questions:

How do I replace the bulb for illumination behind my Cruise button (not the orange "on" light, but the backlighting)?

What types of bulbs are used to light up the dash, like behind the speedo and tach? I just replaced my auto shifter backlight and now its way brighter than the dash so if the dash uses the same bulbs I can upgrade all of them. I just did the HVAC backlights and they were these tiny green things, the shifter was a standard bulb. I guess the next question is how to replace dash bulbs...

Does anyone else have this much trouble with interior lighting at 130K miles? : )

andy

Hi Andy. Do a search for HVAC lighting and you'll find that someone ( I think it was Josh) posted a great step by step tutorial - with photos - on replacing the HVAC bulbs. It's not hard to do, but it will probably take a whole Saturday afternoon.

As far as the cruise control light, sorry I can't help you with that but someone here will have the answer for you.

If it makes you feel better, i do't think it's a mileage thing. I just think Subaru uses inexpensive bulbs. I had a 95 Legacy with 157k miles and the HVAC lights were out for years. The 98 Legacy with 108K miles I am driving now also has burned out HVAC bulbs. I bought it at 99K and they were burned out then. I think if you took an unofficial survey A LOT of people on here would tell you either their HVAC lights are burned out or they've replaced them.

Let us know how you make out.

Ed

HVAC was not hard, I used a step-by-step I found here or on NASIOC. I used the method that involves removing the heater cable in the passenger footwell and the rest was easy. I got the bulbs from the dealer so I didn't have to deal with the little green booties, I just twisted the old ones out and then put the new ones in.

Cruise light is the big thing I need to know. I know where the button is with out a light, but its just annoying : ) Somebody with a early 90's Leg said just pry the switches, but that makes me nervous.

Replacing my dash lights so they are as bright as my shifter would be nice, too, and I know somebody must have done that before.

andy

• 10 years later...

I just replaced the Instrument cluster back lights on my 96 Legacy Brighton. The standard bulb size is a 158. If you wanna go with a colored LED the size is 194. I bought the Pilot Automotive 194 LED's at Auto Zone because they were identical in price to the LED's on Superbrightled.com, and I could install them right then.

They work well, and they function with my vehicle's stock dim setting (located on the turn signal) as well. 

There were four 158/194 bulbs, as well as one smaller bulb on my Brighton, which sits at approximately "4 o'clock" behind the speedometer. It is noticeably smaller than the 158/194, and it has T 6.5 printed right next to it on the factory green electrical circuit "board". (there will most likely be 2 of the smaller bulbs on your vehicle if you have a tachometer, or RPM gauge) According to Superbrightled.com this little "T 6.5" bulb is a 74, and they just happen to make an LED replacement (available in 5 colors) that slips right in to the stock "wedge" holder that screws in to the back of the instrument cluster for the whopping price of $2.95.

I am ordering mine from them because no one within 25 miles of me had any of these. 

And since I am going to have to pay for shipping, I might as well order some new reverse lights to help me out with the tinted windows at night, and maybe red lights for my glove compartment and dome light. Gotta get my money's worth!

Hopefully this provides some insight.