Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much should I expect to spend on parts

if I decide to rebuild a spare EFI EA82 block I have sitting around?

I have freshly built heads from a Carbed motor, can I just use those?

I've taken far too much time away from my business to completly freshen the suspension of my driver, but I need a motor.

So---1100 bucks for a CCR longblock, one day to install,---------

Or how much dough build it myself? (and obviously a lot more time, i'm no proffesional mechanic nor a guru,-- I work slow)

Thanks,

Pyro

This is the way I am going helping my oldest renew his car (He wants to get another 300,000 miles from a motor).

Went to a local machine shop and dropped off the heads from a 86 carbed engine. They are rebuilding them for $170. You said you have a set so that would not be an included cost.

The gent at the machine shop said that he would clean the block, check it and hone the cylinders for around $35.

Checked the crank with a micrometer and it says that standard will do. (Engine had 212,000 on it or so the body said, might have been a jdm replacement, as the bearings so no were at all). Machine shop guy says gaskets, bearing (rod and mains) and rings for $193.

Saw on ebay this kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7982628316&category=33620

for $171 shipped, and they will match your crank if you have to get it turned for oversized.

Will go to my local parts house (Bow-wow) in Boise and get the timing belts and new tensioners and idler for around $85.

Did most of this on my turbo wagon (new gaskets, redid the heads myself) and it is going strong with 167,000, and has used 1/4 quart of oil in 2100 miles.

The carbed heads are the same as the SPFI ones just use the SPFI cams and housings for best results.

Hush

hey im in the middle of doin up my ea82t engine and ive spent close to $2500 nz on it so far and its still in bits but thats with all the mods. i do know that the whole gasket set for the engines are very expensive but im over in new zealand. ud be better of doing most of the work yourself spend the $50 on buying a complete workshop manual rather than spendin $60-$100 per hour getting some one else to do it sure there is some things you cant do yourself but also doin it your self you get a better understanding of the engine next time somethink goes wrong ull know exactly whats wrong.. gud luck on doin it theres always everyone here to help you alnog to... patt

hey im in the middle of doin up my ea82t engine and ive spent close to $2500 nz on it so far and its still in bits but thats with all the mods. i do know that the whole gasket set for the engines are very expensive but im over in new zealand. ud be better of doing most of the work yourself spend the $50 on buying a complete workshop manual rather than spendin $60-$100 per hour getting some one else to do it sure there is some things you cant do yourself but also doin it your self you get a better understanding of the engine next time somethink goes wrong ull know exactly whats wrong.. gud luck on doin it theres always everyone here to help you alnog to... patt

Thanks for the replys gents. Well, I would not consider hireing a local shop to do the build, yes at $60 to $100 and hour. Not when a CCR longblock is so complete and runs around $1100. And they have such a strong reputation. I was just wanting to understand how much one might save doing most of the work oneself. I really am leaning toward the CCR option. Being kinda old and slow and crippled, and then factoring my time, CCR looks good.

On the other hand, the sense of satisfaction of doing it oneself plus the knowledge gained (that is if I was successful) would be ommited if I do a CCR.

I just wish I knew how much time or miles or reliability I have left on this engine, what with the crank walk. It worries me.

Much to consider

Again, thanks guys,

Pyromanic