Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Still need help! update..see last post..

well, after moving up to lynnwood and doing the commute from there to seatac everyday i can positively say its still pings pretty well!! :( is it time to bring it in to smart-service and have them take a look? hate paying the shop charge, especially since i have no idea how long it might take them to find the problem, if they do find it at all...

have to sell this before i can even begin to look at xt-6's and i refuse to sell this to someone before i get the pinging fixed...the squeaky brakes on the other hand is THEIR problem :)

please help if ya can...

thanx!

Alan, try running with the MAF unplugged...that will give us some information to go on. After that, take northwet up on what might be needed.

havent tried the maf yet other then putting on another one....i would guess the next part would be an injector...

okey doke, update time....disconnected the maf yesterday...car runs better! smoother idle, quicker acceleration, no hesitation or bogging...cant tell on pinging till i go to work tomorrow at seatac and see if it pings at the normal areas of the hiway....but, so far so good...but, why is it running? i will be tracing the wiring as suggested to see if i can find the short i guess but i didnt think it would even run w/o it connected...maybe it defaults to rich?

As mentioned earlier, when you disconnect the MAF, the computer goes in to a "limp home" mode that allows you to drive. It regulates the amount of fuel based only on the engine speed and tps. This gives it a rough estimate of how much fuel is required, but it will run slightly rich under most conditions in this mode.

If the pinging is gone, i would have a very comprehensive check for inlet leaks before moving on to other things.

Alan, bring it here if you like and we can check for inlet leaks.

As mentioned earlier, when you disconnect the MAF, the computer goes in to a "limp home" mode that allows you to drive. It regulates the amount of fuel based only on the engine speed and tps. This gives it a rough estimate of how much fuel is required, but it will run slightly rich under most conditions in this mode.

If the pinging is gone, i would have a very comprehensive check for inlet leaks before moving on to other things.

havent had the time to scope out each wire but have noticed that w/o the maf on the engine will not stay running when first started after a day or night off...if i keep the rpms at around 2-3k for about 30 seconds it will then idle fine but not otherwise...seems to show at least one of the maf wire connections was working anyway :)