Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill Holder . . .

Alright, the Hill-Holder device activates one front brake and one rear brake, right? Would it be possible switch the other rear w/ the front that is being activated such that the HH operates the rear brakes only?

Would the X pattern for the brake system be hindered by this, or would this create a frong-rear pattern?

I was just messin with you :lol:

The "Dual Diagonal" braking system was designed to keep the car straight during hard braking. Kind of an early attempt at ABS. Why would you want to mess with it?

I've never heard of anyone changing the system like that?

The truth of the matter is you could probably do anything you wanted. However it would be a mess trying to re-configure your mastercylinder area.

There is little tolerence at the master-cylinder for switching the brake lines around. You'd probably end up having to run new lines to the front and rear.

When your finished you'd end up with a system that on snow and dirt would give you the possibility of looping yourself when you started sliding with the HH actuated?

What advantages are your thinking you'll find with a reconfigured system? :confused:

I'm not sure what you mean on the 'looping yourself' thing . . .

I want to configure the HH to activate both rear brakes in an attempt to have a rear handbrake. It would be an interesting move. I would rig a second handbrake that would replace the clutch cable where it connects to the HH. So, to activate the rears, I would pull the new handbrake lever and hit the brakes quickly enough to activate the whole deal. Release the lever to release the brakes.

Does this sound possible? Was I right about this changing the X pattern to front-rear?

I don't have a major problem w/ redoing to of the brake lines for this. Maybe it is just a good excuse to go all SS on the lines.

I think this could be a cool mod.

If I was looking to make a rear park brake, I wouldn't use the HH system at all.

I'd swap disk brakes from the front of a donor car to the rear of your car. The disk calipers already accept the park brake cables. It would then just be a matter of connecting the park brake cables, or even a second set of cables and a handle?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6002&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

When I was talking about looping yourself, I was meaning something similar to a park brake U-turn except unexpectedly while applying the brake with the clutch in. However if you used a second PKB lever and not the HH system that would not happen unexpectedly.

The HH valve only works on a 10% uphill incline. Also while in forward motion if you were able to apply the brake via the HH, any sudden deceleration could cause the check ball to roll forward and release the brakes. Could be a good thing, but in certain situations maybe not.

I think to really make it work the HH would have to be mounted vertically.

for such a rear hand brake to work you would have to slam the brake whele you pull your lever and let off the brake, the lever holding it to the rear.

basically you will have to introduce some sort of brake pressure first then the lever will hold it off tho the rear, so any maneuvers would have to train yourself to do

Yup - that's why I was saying fancy footwork. It will be: Pull lever in anticipation, Pump brake as quick as possible, Release lever to finish rear-brake maneuver.

Perhaps I'll invent someway to pump the brakes quickly w/ the lever pull. (That's probably impossible and beyond my ability.)