Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone purchased a thermovalve (pics)

Looks like this:

306IMG_5861-med.JPG

The valve inquestion is off an 86 T wagon. Tested mine and it failed. I believe it is the reason I am having poor hot idle and failing my smog test.

If you bought one from autozone or if there is a place on the net that rebuilds them let me know. I can only guess that the dealership wants an arm and a leg for one of these. Heck they wanted $140 for a vaccum advance? Thanks

Dealer wants $64. I found two on the marketplace, but I broke nipples on both while installing. My county doesn't have emmisions testing (yet), so I'll wait until I absolutely need it before I try to fumble with it again.

• 2 months later...

The thermovalve on my 86 t wagon is in charge of the vacuum advance more than anything. There is a seperate vacuum silinoid that is responsible for egr function.

Not sure what your car is (mpfi, spfi, carb, or turbo) Different models have different use for the device.

Here is a schematic for a carb (cal) car

306IMG_6728-thumb.JPG

I ended up getting the valve from the dealership for a lot more than $6 :(

Yep, carbed. The schematic shows the middle outlet on the thermovalve going to a "T" one leg of which goes right to the EGR valve. I'll have to play around with it and try applying vacuum to that hose and see if the egr'll open up or not. I guess I didn't know it was called the thermovalve, I'll have to dig out my haynes and see if the federal-spec diagram is the same.