Ultimate Subaru Message Board

immanent fuel pump failure????

Ok, my $150 89 Gl-10 is tagged and being driven. But one problem still annoys me, the stumbling. I did a complete tune-up, when I changed the oil pump, I installed new timing belts(correctly), water pump, etc, etc. nothing has changed. the car sat a year before I got it, so I ran some cleaner in the fuel, and have been checking connectors for funk.

Here's the thing, the lower the fuel level in the tank, the worse the stumble gets !?

The only thing my tired brain can reckon is that the fuel pump is on it's way out. Any comments? Anybody have a good used one to sell?

is it kind of like the car is hiccuping? cruising along, hit the gas, then it stumbles?

if so, my 85 t-wagon is doing the same thing... and it definitely gets worse near the bottom of the tank.

I also suspected fuel pump issues, since I can easily hear it rumbling inside.

*subscribe*

first replace your fuel filters.

second you can remove the fuel hose going to the carburator and check the flow.

I did that, then third I replaced the fuel pump cause I really didn't know how much fuel was supposed to be flowing.

---Sigtree---

I agree you may need a new fuel pump. Not sure this will cure the missing though. That may be a different problem. My car used to stumble going at highway speed up a particular hill. After the pump was changed that problem went away.