Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just wondering

hi an new to this board and was kinda wondering about a couple of things. first not quite sure where to post this stuff or where to find it if it has been put out there already but i would like to know what my 2 brats are ea81 or what. i have a 85 brat and a 82 brat and dont know what the ea81 (or any of the other number/letter combos mean. may need to swap out the wiring harness on the 85 and was wondering if the one in the 82 would work.

Both your brats should be EA81.

EA81 means its a 1.8 liter flat 4 with pushrods and not timing belts to work the valvetrain. (for reference EA71 is like an 81 but a 1.6 liter and EA82 is 1.8 with timing belts)

Parts of the wiring harness may work, but be aware that the 82 SHOULD have a 3rd eye setup and 2 headlights instead of 4. So headlight wiring should be different. The wiring for the carb may be different too. (both my 82's have had carter webers and it seems most other ones have hitachis)

I am not saying it wont work, just some differences to be aware of.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my brat for about 2 months love it. Drive it as much as I can. I actually learned how to drive stick shift in one about 8 years ago and have always wanted one for my own. Saw this one out by Reelfoot lake area and stopped to ask about it. Since a am a woman the guys chin just about hit the ground when I told him I wanted it for myself. Have took it offroading just once so far to try and get a feel for it cause I'm new at that but love to do it. Lost the muffler and had to go home and put it back on. Had a good time doing it though.