Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trailer hitch-loyale sedan

i would only suggest it if its a 5spd. ats are too weak, but are geared low enough

i work at uhaul and no, they wont issue a trailer for an older soob, but yes, i tow my rx in excess of 300 miles thru chicago with my 2wd at to 4wd 5spd conversion sedan

funny thing about u-haul is they wont issue a trailer to ford explorer for liability reasons. and this comes from ford. wut whats stupid about it is they WILL issue one for a mercury mountaineer. just tell them you have a legacy

Hi,

I would like to put a trailer hitch on my 2wd loyale. Is it successfully possible? If so, what are limits? (I found a 1977 pop-up camper, weighs under 590lbs.)

I towed a trailer weighing about 2000 lbs gross from the west coast to the east with my 91 Loyale wagon with manual trans. The company that makes trailier hitches for Loyales is called Dalan.

hey, thanks for replies. I did quick search for sedan hitch, wagons are plentiful, sedans are impossible. It doesn't make much sense to me, the weight of sedan is lighter, more by means of losing the weight of rear end, etc on 2wd.The wagon unibody floor which hooks the hitches without any glitches (hmmm) ,will not work on sedan. With my own plan, I think I can man!:) Any ideas milesfox?

I had an idea....

use a loyale wagon's rear bumper, remount license plate w/light below trunk lid, get cheaper hitch for bumper and make some brackets to further strengthen on the endpoints of unibody(you can see the two boxed endpoints when you pick-up the cardboard stuff inside trunk). My guess is it will make for a buzzing ride because endpoints disperse "stuff".Any feedback, or someone who has a sedan w/ hitch?

the reason there is a hitch for a wagon and not a sedan is the floor on the bottom is flat on a wagon, the hitch bolts on in place of the tow hooks

if you look on a sedan the passenger side is like the wagons, but the driver side tow hook bolts onto the part where the floor curves up toward the bumper. if you could fabricate a mounting plate there you can retrofit a wagon hitch

older ea81 hitched bolt to the bumper and thru the floor. i retrofitted one onto my sedan. had to make holes but its rock solid. use some thick metal for the bolts to go through on the top side

the bumper part i had to cut holes to get a wrench on the nut side of the bolts

i would only suggest it if its a 5spd. ats are too weak, but are geared low enough.

Absolutely - manual only!

i work at uhaul and no, they wont issue a trailer for an older soob

Interesting - never had this problem w/uhaul - but it's been a couple years.

well they will probably issue the mt series trailer or the av series trailer, but the rv covered trailer has a trailer brake and this mini van almost wasnt allowed to go with it with his class 2 hitch till the manager inspected the gvwr

as far as my example they wont let a tow dolly go with an older soob, or even a newer soob

hey miles i used to work for uhaul i managed 701081 in seatac, wa. as far as the hitch goes its only a class 1(no good) i would suggest getting a class 3 bumber made and set rating at about 2500lbs no more. as far as AT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A TRANNY COOLER. other wise it will got tits up real fast. lol damn explores i was there when they first set that into place. seatac is kinda ghetto and i almost got my butt shot a couple times its really sad. but i set them straight :dead: :0)

well they will probably issue the mt series trailer or the av series trailer, but the rv covered trailer has a trailer brake and this mini van almost wasnt allowed to go with it with his class 2 hitch till the manager inspected the gvwr

as far as my example they wont let a tow dolly go with an older soob, or even a newer soob

No doubt a good rule. At first I figured some managers were not looking too closely, just take the money and run. But I've only rented open trailers, usually 5X8, and occasionaly a small covered one (4X6?). Nothing large and nothing with brakes. I once rented one with high sides and a little longer - I think 5X10 - and the darn thing looked bigger than the Loyale.