Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Loyale STALLING!!! each time you slow down

Hi. I've posted about this in the past and got the suggestion to check the ECU and/or to listen to what is happening when it idles. the latter is clearly out of the question considering it stalls literally everytime the revs fall. it starts absolutely fine, bucks when driving, requires a good deal of gas when starting from a stop, has an audible valve opening/closing very rapidly sound when bucking, car smoothes somewhat when the opening/closing stops (process repeats). Things i've done: changed fuel filter, plugs, wires, oil pump seal, PCV valve, O2 sensor, rotor and cap, etc. i'll try to remember more later. i have checked the ECU and all it is doing (with the green test mode connector together and the white single prong connector together next to it in the engine compartment on the drivers side) is flash five times quickly then pause, flash five times quickly then pause, over and over again. PLEASE HELP ME!!! if any of the guys who live on NE Kill. in PDX see this i live just up the road from you. I have no money to take it to a shop. thanks all. extremely frustrated, ben

My initial guess here is Throttle Position Sensor and/or Idle Air Controle valve. The IAC might not be catching the idle signal from the TPS when you let off the pedal. Or the IAC is getting the idle signal but isnt opening intime... if at all? Or the TPS is sending false signals to the computer cuasing the bucking and stalling. Could be some other things however but you have to start somewhere :)

I would start with a multimeter and testing both comonents. Proceedures and pages out of service manuals on this topic can be found using the search feature.

I would start with a multimeter and testing both comonents. Proceedures and pages out of service manuals on this topic can be found using the search feature.

thanks for the help. i will look into this today. sorry for being dim, but what exactly is a multimeter? i'll check at an autoparts store for that today and may try to hit up a u-pull-it yard today as well. i'll post what i discover. thanks again, ben

I picked up a multi-meter and now don't know what the Chilton's manual means by "terminals A and C." what are the terminals? when it says to test it when the throttle is "fully closed" or "fully opened" does the car need to be running? this will prove difficult because unless someone revs the engine there is no real way to keep it from stalling. appreciate any and all help

Pull the wire harness plug off the TPS. Now you can see the 4 terminals. Notice how the manual labels them in relation to the position of the TPS on the Throttle Body.

Throttle open/closed with the engine off.

Same with the IAC; except it's only got 2 terminals. Again engine off.