Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82's have hesitation too...

I was enjoying the fact that the XT doesn't have hesitation issues like my Legacy has from day one, and then I went to go pass somebody, got on the gas, and.... nothing. A little more, starting to stumble...

It accelerated very slowly up to 4000, and then just surged forward...

Why? What in Subaru's engine design causes this? Are all the ECU's of Subarus taking oversensitive reading from knock sensors and then pulling timing??? That's simply what it feels like to me, even though I replaced my knock sensor in my Legacy with a new updated one...

It's very frustrating and even dangerous...

I don't think thats a normal thing on the EA82s.. for all the problems I have has with mine, that is not one of them..things like this are bound to happen however.. after all, the car is 15 years old.. possibly dirty connections on the tps.. fuel injectors dirty.. all sorts of reasons a car will stumble when you romp on it.. timing off maybe?

It only does it occasionally, so I don't think it's the timing, although it wouldn't hurt to get a timing light and turn the disty a little, I've been spoiled with coilpacks on the Legacy for sooo long:brolleye:

I could try some injector cleaner or something, it's just that I've tried method after method on the Legacy, and although I've improved it immensely, I've never gotten it to completely go away...

• 10 months later...

Okay, this is starting to irritate me now. (To recap, 88 XT, nonturbo EA82, MPFI spider intake)

I've run a couple tanks of fuel-injector cleaner through it now, and I just did a tune-up this weekend. Fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. The car does indeed run better, but still, every once in a while, the thing just falls on its rump roast. No matter how hard you mash the gas, it'll just take its sweet time climbing the revs, then it'll wake up and surge forward, chirping the tires if i'm on it enough.

Where's the knock sensor on this beast? Wonder if I can still get one?