Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car in storage??

I am going to look at a Subaru that has been in storage for 3 years. I am wondering...what problems might arise? What should I look for? I know sitting is hard on cars, on the other hand, it only has 114K miles...which in Subie land looks pretty good. Thanks.

see how much gas was in it while it sat there. Hopefully it was close to a full tank.

This helps prevent condensation and rust from forming inside the tank. My 85 twagon sat for 6-8 years with maybe 5 gallons in the tank. It now has rust in the tank :banghead:

oh man is that rust bad? :eek:

oh man is that rust bad? :eek:

bad enough when the tank gets low the car stutters and bucks like crazy. The fuel pump also humms really loudly. Since I've already replaced the pump to no fix, I plan to drop the tank when I convert to a 5spd and clean it out.

But like I mentioned above, if it's mostly full of gas, and it's been garaged, it should be in pretty good shape.

I really doubt that this guy followed proper storage proceedures. He's kind of an idiot. Sitting for 3 years outside in upper midwest with a tarp over the top. I know gaskets and the water pump don't do well with extended sitting. Same with tires. Kind of makes me nervous.

Pay attention to what the car was sitting on. If it was sitting on anything besides concrete or gravel, a tarp, or a bed of pine needles, take a GOOD look at the undercarriage. Odds are it's rusted bad underneath. As for the gas tank- unless he did it right, it's a lose/lose situation. No gas equals rust in the tank, full tank if the guy didn't put fuel stabilizer in equals bad gas. More than likely you're going to need to remove and drain the tank, possibly replace it.

One of my RX's sat on a bed of pine needles for two years and underneath it's the cleanest Soob I ever had. The needles make for a very dry area.