Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake update, Buying question on 87 XT TURBO

WELL HIDEY HO EVERYBODY!!! IT's been a little while since i posted a thread, things have been really HECTIC!! But on a happy note, my first brake job went as SMOOTHLY AS IT POSSIBLY COULD HAVE!!:banana: thanks again to everybody for the advice, tips, and little tricks. They all came into use. I actually got front and rear done in about an HOUR! HOORAY! I couldn't believe how easy replacing brakes could be. Now that i understand how the whole brake system works, i'm hopefully going to be buying new rotors and installing them soon. WOW...if only people could see how easy this stuff is to do by themselves, they could save a lot of money. SO...thanks again everybody for all of the great info!;)

My main question here today is this...my buddy is looking at buying a new car, and i happen to know of an 87 XT turbo for about $800 that's sitting in this guy's yard collecting dust.

THE SPECS: 85,000 originally owned miles, power everything, 2 door, Semi-new tires, sunroof, working a/c. I recently hooked up the battery and it started right up (i added gas as it had been sitting for a couple of years). Immaculately clean interior, exterior is decent, except for the back where it was hit.

THE PROBLEMS: When i started it up, it had a hard time staying running when i took my foot off of the gas. While depressing the pedal though, it seemed fine. Possibly a fuel pump issue, but i'm guessing just old gas and not having been run for a while. Here's the main problem. It was hit in the back driver side wheelwell, and according to the owner, one of the arms leading to the knuckle? :-\ is bent. This causes enough of an angle to rub the tire against the wheelwell, shredding the tire.

THE QUESTIONS: The low mileage seems like a deal for $850, especially considering the great condition of the interior and exterior of the car. He is going to include the replacement back panel where the acciddent occured, at no extra charge. How much work/money is it going to take to fix that rear knuckle arm problem? Does that make the price of the car too expensive or would my friend benefit from a cheap fix? 85,000 miles is practically brand new for a Subaru:slobber: , and this just seems like a great deal. The main thing holding him back is the unknown amount of time and money it would cost to fix the Knuckle problem.

ANY ADVICE ON THE ABOVEMENTIONED QUESTIONS WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

thanks again everybody, you all rock, and I WILL be sending pictures as soon as the rear hatch speaker fabrication on my car is complete!!!!

HAVE A GREAT THURSDAY EVERYBODY :D

C O R Y

Several points to raise -

RUST - major issue on these cars, make sure there is as little as possible - if there is a lot in the rocker panels, forget it

bent suspension stuff is BAD - it takes a body shop to unbend suspension components - and rarely are they able to get them right - have it checked for alignment, if it is out of alignment, and is not correctable, forget it because you will spend a LOT on tires

what tranny is in it? the three speed automatic trannies are at least potientially problematic (fluid MUST be clean), the manuals are extremely good

the idle is not something to worry about at present - it is probably due to bad gas, and if not, it is very adjustable

the T-belts, engine oil, tranny fluid (rear diff?) and all other fluids (coolant) will need to be changed as the car has been sitting for it to be consitered reliable

I would be very careful with a car that has been sitting for more than a year to two years - stuff happens to cars when they sit, and it usually takes a LOT of work to get them right again

bent suspension isn't anything to run from. if just the suspension parts are bent (most likely) then just replace whatever needs replacing. dealing with rusted bolts will be your biggest problem, otherwise shouldn't be a big deal.

with a sufficient enough hit it could have deformed some bolt holes or otherwise made it such that the new parts won't line up with the olds holes because of the damage....but it would have to be very bad for that to happen. i've fixed a couple like this (mostly front suspension) and it was an easy fix. like 25 dollar control arms from a pull it yourself yard.

if the rear side boy panel is damaged that could be a serious pain if it's the...i think the passengers side. whatever side has the gas filler tube on it. i think that side has to be cut out and welded back in place. the drivers side would be easy, should be a bolt in affair though.

check the rust and ask him to cut the price. perfect body XT's sell for 800, but that's not a terrible deal if it's a good car.

and yes bad gas will easily keep a car from starting or running well. after setting awhile the HLA's (often called valve noise) can be quite noisey and this will be accompanied by lower performance because the valves won't be opening fully until the HLA's are pumped up to spec's. not a big deal normally, they should free up and work fine.