Ultimate Subaru Message Board

window conversion... (this thread belongs here)

So I've been having troubles with my power windows on my 88 GL. I initially thought it was a window motor, and that ended up not being the culprit. Same with the switch, cleaned contact, ALOT better but still doing the same thing.

ARRRGGHH *%#*@!!! :banghead:

That did it.. So I decided to swap in a manual window on the drivers door (as mentioned in a previous post, EVERY window except mine works with the switch!)

Took everything out of the donor car to put into the 88, what I did have to do was switch out the rollers that hold the glass at the top of the window. My 88 had 4 rollers, 2 on each side.. The parts car had 2 rollers on the inside side of the car, but had two pad things on the outside. I had to use the rollers from the 88 to make the glass sit in there right.

Well, enough babbling, when i got it all back together, the other 3 windows do not work now. Do I have to have the master switch from the drivers door that controls all the windows hooked up? I did remove this. I suppose it would be an easy answer if I just got up off my butt and went and plugged it in to see, but, if this is the problem, why would this switch be needed to complete a circuit?

Well, hooked the switch back up, i have my windows back.

Why? (i have my nose in the wiring diagram trying to figure it out, not sure if theres one for the actual switch yet though)

I believe the wiring in the windows is something like that of house wiring where two switches control one light. The juice has to run thru all the switches just in case you might be using one of them.

The window interlock switch is in the master. If you remove the master switch, it's the same as pushing the lock button the master switch, and disables all the other switches. What you could do is just look at the two wires (or is it 4, can't remember at the moment), that go into the lock switch, and then just connect the two of them together, and ditch the swtich.

The window interlock switch is in the master. If you remove the master switch, it's the same as pushing the lock button the master switch, and disables all the other switches.

Thats what I thought... but....

I believe the wiring in the windows is something like that of house wiring where two switches control one light. The juice has to run thru all the switches just in case you might be using one of them.

Tinsoldier is right, I looked at the wiring diagram and it appears he is correct.