Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clunking and squealing....?

There is a distinct "clunk" and "thump" coming from under the front of my '84 FWD GL Wagon. The thumping noise has to be the spring as it's kind of a dull sound and does not sound like CV Joints at all. The "clunk" noise is sharper and sounds like it could be coming from the axles. I just changed the left CV axle, so it shouldn't be that. Both noises happen mostly when in reverse and or turning sharp at low speed and neither requires me to be accelerating or on the gas at all.

There is also a "squeal" that just started happening. When I am turning when the car is not fully warmed up the left wheel squeals (not that loudly), it sounds like it could be the brakes but I changed them a couple of weeks ago and the sound started after I changed the CV axle. It goes away after about say 15-25 minutes of driving.

Anyone have any clues?

I wish I could say what was going on, but alas, I can only say that you are not alone! My 89 GL wagon started doing this a few months ago. I guessed the squeal was coming from the bearings and the clunks from somewhere in teh suspension. a year or so ago I replaced both front hub assemblies and axles.

I hope someone who knows more will respond to this thread!

KDR :-\

You should raise the car off the ground, and support it on stands (or blocks of wood) so that it is secure. you can then jiggle the wheels/suspension and look for any play anywhere. Using a prybar to push on suspension arms can be useful for looking for bad bushings.