Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions about subies

I have a few questions about subies. After reading some of your post I saw some things I have never heard of wish you could give me a hand.

What is a brumby?

Did Subaru ever make a a diesel?

That would fit an older model wagon?

Is there a duel carb intake for an EA 82?

EA 81?

What have some of you guys paid to blueprint and balance your engines?

Thanks any help would help

I have a few questions about subies. After reading some of your post I saw some things I have never heard of wish you could give me a hand.

What is a brumby?

EA 81?

A brumby is a Brat.

No diesels

I think i've seen a pic of both EA81 and EA82

What is a brumby?

EA 81?

What are you looking to do?

Tell us your evil plans :brow:

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

Aussie-speak for a Brat

No

No

No

Yes

Haven't done it.

Rather than try to retrofit an EA81 dual-carb manifold, why not go the fuel-injected route? You can go either SPFI (relatively easy), MPFI (a little harder), or MPFI/Turbo (harder still). None of it is rocket science and you'll have more power and more tunability.

I am looking to build the ULTIMATE SUBARU. Starting with a tubing fram and working my way up. I have money to spend on a hobby ( a nice one that is ) but not exactly money to burn, so once finished, I want it to last, but still have a Suby that is well... only you guys know......

I am looking to build the ULTIMATE SUBARU. Starting with a tubing fram and working my way up. I have money to spend on a hobby ( a nice one that is ) but not exactly money to burn, so once finished, I want it to last, but still have a Suby that is well... only you guys know......

I have a body (81 Wagon) and would like to find a EA-82T or NoN-t haven't decided, parts car that I can take the drive train out of, engine, tranny, rear end, and rear discs out of. Are there and 6 cyl. Subs out there? I have started on the interior, completely ripped out. Want to take out dash and build a custom stainless steel dash , since I've tried to mount some stuff, radio C.B. and just general switches, and have found mounting locations to be quite difficult to find. I have added a roll bar, but it will be removed since I decided to go with the frame.

Some ideas I've come up with:

Foot parking brake so I can take out the hand held e brake and put a custom consol in the center.

I have converted the A/C compressor on my bosses Chevy to an air compressor for his air horn, but would like to add a tank so I can run air tools and hoses from.

Dual batteries and Alts. Never done this so was wondering what may be needed.

Run a hood scoop for ram air from the roof into (maybe)a intercooler mounted under it down to a snorkel/ cold air pipe.

Haven't figured out the engine yet.

Headers? In my opion... they make it breath better right. So from the actual engine down about 8 inches is open, so from there run true duals back. Flowmasters sound good.

From a tubing frame in will be easy to build a 2" to 3" body lift.

From the fram it will be easy to come off of it with new shock mounts for dual struts front and dual shocks in rear.

Thats about it for now. I started this project with my first car when I turned 16. Its comming along slowly, I joined the service and had to spend the past 18 months away from it, so I am in the designing parts gathering process.

For rear discs, you'll need a turbowagon as a parts car. Or get the discs from somewhere else.

Why not run one big alt and a battery isolator? Easier than two alts, and there's less stuff to break.

There are three 6cyl Subaru engines, the ER27 (basically an EA82 with two more cylinders) which came in the XT6, the EG33, which came in the SVX, and the EZ33, which comes in Legacys and Tribecas. The ER27 is probably your best bet for a swap if you're dying for a six. An ER27 is going to be a TIGHT squeeze, though. Talk to SubaruBrat about it or Archimites - they've both done the swap into an EA81.

If you're wanting an intercooler, instead of a six, why not start with a factory turbo engine. EA82T, EJ22G, EJ20G, and EJ25G are all factory turboed. The EJ22G is my personal favorite, as it's torquey and non-interference, and it's just plain cool. EJ20G or EJ25G are both awesome engines, but the 2.0 is going to be cheaper to find and nearly as responsive to modifications. You could mount the IC in the spare tire well and put a hoodscoop on, like so many members here have done. EA82T is easy to find, but it's not quite as reliable as the early EJs (especially the EJ18 and EJ22), and you'll have to do some work on your framerails. No biggie if you're going to build an entire tubeframe for the front, I guess, but there's better engines out there if you're going to do a swap anyway.

...but, if you're offroading, turbocharged might not be the way to go. If you stick with a small turbo, you'll be okay, but I prefer the simplicity and low-end grunt of a well-built N/A engine over that of a turbocharged motor. Nothing against the turboed engines - they're awesome - but they're more complex.

Also, what's wrong with the EA81 you've got? It's no speed demon, but it's bulletproof and ultra-reliable. Plus, with low range or even a t-case, you've got enough gearing to get through just about anything. Ask any of the hardcore EA81 fanatics around here like Zapar or Qman - there's lots of others too. They'll tell you how awesome that engine is.

True dual exhaust never seems to make these old Soobs quite happy. They wind up with pulse-pause-pulse-pause (or is it pulse-pulse-pause-pause?) which Fs up the scavenging effect. Throw an X pipe in there to balance the pulses.

Be careful of being over ambitious. We all have big plans for our rigs, but if I were you, I'd start small and go from there. Even rigs like Sweet82's "Summer," Qman's "Beast" and SubaruBrat's monster started out small. It's easy to dive headfirst into a project and start tearing things apart with big plans, and then run out of money/time/interest before it's done. There's nothing wrong with dreaming, but I've built quite a few cars - street demons, track monsters, show queens, and now I'm working on an offroader of my own, and I know how easy it is to get sidetracked and overly ambitious with a project.

Oh, and welcome to the board, and good luck with your rig!

Yeah I know what you mean. I've been working on the project for about 5 years now. I'm pretty side tracked right now cause for A i don't have my Subie and B I don't have a shop up here to work on it. It was my daily driver so I couldn't really do much with it then, but now its ok to play.

The reason for the newer engine was I figured it was a litle more advanced for stock maybe. I am wanting to stay away from additional add ons like turbos and the what nots. I am not wanting the fuel injection really, well no reason just always had good luck with carbs I guess. Plus a Holley will add just enough and wont be as hard to find as upgrades for the fuel injection. I have looked but don't really know much about them so can't really say what I was looking for. I want as much hp I can get with out totally tweaking the engine out. I am also looking for that low end torque my self. Don't really HALF to have a 6 just sparked my interest cause I haven't heard too much about them. Did the 6 cyl cars come with rear discs? I am figuring it will be easiest to take all the running gears that come with it so I don't have to by a clutch from this one a throwoutbearing from this, a driveshaft from this one and so on. One thing I am looking for is the D/R tranny. I can't give up low... so maybe that can narrow down the options.

As for head work. Do the heads need port and polished. It was my understanding that they are aluminum so they should all be pretty smooth right? Correct me if I'm wrong please. What about a valve job. Is that going to make it run higher compression. I would like to keep it reasonabley low if possible. What is a good number is the more than stock but still in the really safe area. What about an intercooler? can you run them w/o a turbo? ( not saying all this is going on there just want to know my options)

I like the idea of a sigle alt. Wouldn't have to build a mounting bracket for it and find a longer belt and all that. I do need a larger one though. With just the winch 6 lights and the headlights running I burn them up left and right. What about a aftermarket one. Can just a reg chevy alt go on there or what? Do you have to change out the voltage regulator or what?

Another area is the front struts. I want to run duel struts. Ok when you lift the body the angle of the CV increases. I want to lenghten the shock to get more travel out of it without lifting the body too high.

I can see were you can see the interest level would deplete but I have been in the car since 92 when my dad bought it.... it ain't going no where.It's too cool pulling into a gas station and people looking like wtf is that. Or pulling an $30,000 2 year old F-250 outta the mud. It's so awsome. Finding TIME and a PLACE is another story. Money isn't really that big of a deal, can't spend TONZ but I know what I can manage.... I just really need some info on getting a drivetrain built. I have access to a good shop and tools its just on the other side of the country right now.

Well, the only newer engine that came carbed was the EA82, and if I were you, I'd stick with the EA81. It's less complicated, easier to work on, more reliable, and nearly as much power. I've heard of carbed EJ22s in '90 Legacies, but talk about rare... and not sweet.

Now, Subaru fuel injection, especially the SPFI EA82, is damn near bulletproof. There's not much to break. Sure, you've got an ECU to mess with, but it's simple, easy, and lots of power, plus, it'll run better in high-angle conditions, where a carb will starve.

The XT6 will have rear discs, but 1. it's fuel injected, so you'll have to go that route, 2. it's 5-lug, so you'll have to convert (no biggie if you've got a parts car, and you'll get WAYYYY more wheel options), and 3. you'll have a bear of a time cramming that thing in there. It's a cool engine, though.

You can stick a D/R on any EA or ER engine easily. The EJs take an adaptor plate that Mudrat makes, or you can make your own, but it's still been done a lot. EJs are all injected, though, but they're bulletproof as well, especially the EJ22 and EJ18. Early EJ22s (1st gen Legacies) and all EJ18s are non-interference, just like older Soobs, which is cool. Plus, the EJs have only one timing belt to mess with. EA82s have two. Your EA81 has zero, as it's pushrod.

IIRC the EA81 heads have lots of room for improvement with a P&P, especially on the intake side. The exhaust can be smoothed out as well. There's a recent thread floating around about this very topic. Not sure on the EA82 heads, but ask an EA82 guru like WJM for help on that.

A valve job will not increase your compression. The best way to increase compression on an EA81 is to put in EA71 pistons. On an EA82, you could have the heads milled to raise compression a bit, or, if it's an EA82T, SPFI pistons will raise the compression.

Intercoolers are for turbocharged applications. Sure you COULD run them w/o a turbo, but there's no good reason. Think of it this way. You're sucking in ambient air that's going right into the motor with N/A. It's not being heated much by the engine before it makes its way in. Add more pipes for an IC, and you're adding more area to heat up, even if the IC just cools it back down. You'll never get your air charge cooler than the ambient air unless you run air-to-water, but just... just don't bother. It's not worth it. Slap a snorkel on there and call it done.

Alternators are easy - GM one-wire setups work great. Look in the repair manual or seach around here. They're supposed to be a pretty easy setup. XT6 alts will work too, and they're 90A, but they're fickle and take some modification.

With a unibody lift, the angle of the CV does not necessarily increase. The engine and tranny get dropped down when you lift the unibody, retaining stock angles, with the exception of the AA lift, which puts more angle on the rear CVs to add rear diff clearance. Some say it's better, some say it's worse.

I suggest looking around on here, particularly in this section and the offroad section - you'll get a lot of your questions answered before you know it. There's a HUGE wealth of info on there, just for the taking! Search the boards for info and you'll find more than you need.

Oh, and I dunno if you have AIM, but if you do, feel free to message me - I'd love to have a chat about your Soob. You can message me at samo ownz yuo .

Thats what I love about these things thers so much you can do with them making up your mind is the hardest part about it all. Wish I could get a pic of my soob on here like yall got those things are pretty cool... theres some pretty inspiring subies on here, just want mine to be original...

if you find an ea82 motor that will fit, spfi or carb, your existing carb will work, or the ea82 carb will fit all the fuel lines and some of the wiring in your car

you can use the carb and intake on an spfi single port ea82 motor, as spfi or mpfi non turbo have 9.5 compression. ea82 carb has 9.0, ea81 has 8.5

if you find a whole car for parts you can swap in the 5spd dual range along woth an ea82.

this would be the easiest upgrades as far as it all bolts on with pretty much no fabrication other than the carrier bearing mount