Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locknut tool?

On the swing-arm in the rear, on the side facing toward the inside of the car theres a locknut with 4 tabs that is removed to allow the bearing on that side to be removed. Seems like everytime I need to get that out I have to fight it for about an hour before it lets me win. Is there a tool where I can just put it on and get it over with?

Part number of some kind maybe for a special tool?

Thanks.

hmmm, I am looking in the K-M catalog for subaru's and under the rear final drive section (pg# 44) they list a "companion flange wrench". The picture shows a long handled tool with a loop on one end. The loop has four pins on it. Says it is for the Legacy and Justy. PN 398427700 (sorry, dont know the price as K-M doesnt print a price catalog).

On the next page is a similar looking tool called a "pinion flange holder", PN J-25774-A, Says it is for All 4WD.

Hope that helps.

Alex

If you're talking about the ring nut that retains the wheel bearings, I found that the socket for removing the wheel bearings from the front of a 1/2 ton Ford 4X4 (Dana 55 axles, I think)will work great with a bit of modification. Since the notches in the ring nut are not 90 degrees apart, you just have to grind off two of the studs on the socket, so that you have two left that are on opposite sides (180 degrees from each other). These will engage two of the notches on the ring nut just fine. I believe the socket is 1 1/4" and available at Schucks or Autozone for under $20.

If I misunderstood and you're talking about something else, oh well, take it FWIW. ;-)