Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT Tranny ?

i keep hearing 4EAT tranny,my 89' ford probe also has the 4eat atx tranny(the

probe was made by mazda)are these the same trannies just a different bell

housing,and if so are were they made by mazda,i just find it hard to believe that 2 totally different automakers would use the same model name for a

atx tranny.

I am reasonably sure that "4EAT" is just our shorthand slang for the 4-speed electronic AT, not an official model designation. I know that the 3AT has a different official designation, and that it uses a JATCO core with a designation similar to 2N32; this same core is used in other JATCO ATs. I have little doubt that the Subaru "4EAT" uses the same core as JATCO uses on other Makes' "4EAT"s.

ford probes were offered as all wheel drive? i didn't know that.

the 4EAT subaru trans is AWD. never heard about compatability.

no the probe was never offered as an awd,but it was thought about,it never came to pass.

and 4eat in the probe also stands for 4-speed Electronic Automatic Transmission.

thats wierd.hmmmmmm

they used this tranny with the 4 cyl and v6 just with diff. bell housings.

they're not really alike in any way. I've had an ATX apart *shudders* and its not like a Subaru 4EAT. I don't even think the clutches and steels are the same either since one car is a FWD and the other car is an AWD.

Just because one is FWD and the other is AWD doesn't meant that individual internals, especially the 90% that share functions between the trannies, would be different. (Not saying that they are the same, just that the reasoning doesn't follow. :) )

If these are both by JATCO, looking at similar power holding capabilities, it is possible that the various clutchpacks might be the same.