Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny additives

so what have you used in your 5speed /5speed dual range in addition to gear oil to make it run more smoother / shift more willingly?

My car came to me with a shot auto. I swapped in a Junkyard 5sp of unkown quality. It turned out to be a real grindbox. I assumed worn synchros. Thinking not to take another chance on junyard trannys, I called CCR (Colorado Component Rebuilders?) to check price/availiability of reman 5sp trannys.

The mechanic I spoke to said this: Yes, we have re-man 5sp. trannys, (less than 600 bucks) what's wrong with yours? (I told him it grind pretty badly going into 3rd and 4th, and this after several flushings, and then running redline synthetic) He then said, he would not want to sell me a reman trans untill I did this: "Go buy a quart of Reiselene (SP?) motor flush and pour 1/2 of the bottle into your tranny. Drive it. Leave it in. He explained that JY trannys in particular get varnish built up on the synchros, which prevents them from working properly, and that the Reiselene disolves it. He said most people who call him looking for a new tranny never call back after trying this.

I did it. It made a huge difference. It kept getting better for like a couple hundred miles. Then stablized. Not like new, but a huge difference. I have since found a low milieage used tranns, that I will install some day, but for now I'm satisfied with what I got.

Hope this helps

Pyro

redline 75w90NS worked wonders on my transmission. I was having trouble shifting; especially when it was cold, and on downshifts to 3rd.

I have a car I'm working on for a friend I'm thinking about trying risolene in, then maybe the redline if it doesn't get better (start cheap).

However, now that I've almost perfected double-clutching, downshifts to 3rd are smooth as butter :drunk:

1 thru 5 upshifts are fine if not a tad "stiff" and it only grinds when i downshift while moving above about 3-5 mph from second to first

i know of rislone but i thought they only made a motor additive ? or is it the same stuff just used in a non suggested manner?

i drained it and added fresh gear oil once it warms up its better as far as shifting

but i still get the 2nd to 1st grrrrr

Never knew Rislone was used as a transmission cleaner/flush. Something that will work for this (cleaning SAFELY) is Auto-RX. See auto-rx.com for details.

Another thing that has helped my XT-6 5-speed tremendously is a transmission fluid called MTL-R from Specialty Formulations. It's unbelievably good stuff.

1 thru 5 upshifts are fine if not a tad "stiff" and it only grinds when i downshift while moving above about 3-5 mph from second to first

My car used to be pretty bad for that shift also; almost had to come to a stop. The new fluid helped a lot.

The car I need to change the fluid on grinds a bit on that shift if I'm not carefull.

• 1 year later...

Just adding another data point to the 5-speed trans additive and flush topic.

The push-button 4WD 5-speed in my Loyale was never horrible as far as shifting and grinding go, but on colder days it'd be very stiff and downshifting was a chore in itself. 198K will do that to a transmission. So, after doing a little reading in the archives I decided to try my own concoction of fluids in the trans for ~1000 miles to see how it affected the synchros and shifting.

• Jack up front end slightly and support with jack stands
  • Drain the old gear oil out (fairly fresh, in my case)
  • Clean & replace the drain plug (in a "doh!" moment, I've forgotten it)
  • Pour in 1 quart of Rislone Engine Treatment
  • Top off the transmission with ATF (I used Chrysler ATF+3, but I've got to imagine GM Dex/Merc or Ford Type F/FA would work just as well)

I drove the car for ~1000 miles with this little mix in the trans and I could honestly feel it loosen up as the miles went on. When I drained the fluid out it came out fairly dark for the little time it had spent in the trans. Dark reddish-brown to black, but no chunks or metal shavings to speak of. There's definitely something to be said for the detergents in the Rislone and ATF! I then refilled with another quart of Rislone and topped it off with standard Valvoline 80W90 gear oil. The stiff shifting when cold and notchy downshifting is completely gone. I can downshift from 2nd into 1st at just a tick under 20mph with very little pressure on the shifter and no grinding whatsoever. That was virtually impossible before unless the car was at a complete standstill. Needless to say, downshifting into the rest of the gears is cake now.

Cliffs Notes:

A mix of Rislone and ATF in the trans for ~1000 miles really loosened it up and cured all the stiff shifting and notchiness. Shifting is smooth as butter now! :clap: