Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Legacy 2.2L Low Compression Drivers Side

I just did a compression check on my 94 Legacy to find clues as to where the oil was disappearing to. I loose about 1 quart per 500 miles. Engine runs fine, doesn't drip oil and doesn't appear to be burning oil but it is going somewhere. Compression check revealed 205 psi on cylinders 1 and 3 and 165/170 psi on cylinders 2 and 4 (drivers side) respectively. I added a teaspoon of oil to cylinder 2 and 4 and the pressure jumped up to where it should be whcih tells me that it is not in the head but rather the bore or rings.

Anyone have any other thoughts before I pull the engine and swap it out.

Engine only has 127k on it but I have only owned it since 100k and it was loosing oil when I got it.

I think you're jumping to conclusions a bit here. I do it too, so don't feel bad.

165 and 170 are excellent readings. They're right where they should be. 205 however, is honestly too high.

It honestly sounds to me like the passenger side head has been pulled for some reason and rebuilt or at least cleaned up, whereas the driver's side head has never been off the engine and has too much carbon buildup on it.

But that's a very rough theory, someone else should chime in and give a better diagnosis.

As I've found out with my recent compression test on my n/a ej22. The actual final values may be off from what they're supposed to be due to gauge inaccuracy. However cylinder pressure variance is important.

When you did the compression test, was the engine warmed up all the way, injector connectors pulled off, and throttle plate open all the way?

yes engine was warm, all injectors disconnected including cold start valve, all plugs removed, and throttle wide open when cranking engine.

I borrowed the compression guage and it did seem suspect in terms of actual readings but it was the variance that concerned me. Why would one bank be so different - I could understand one cylinder being bad but both on the same side seems suspect to a head gasket. Thoughts??