Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle boot warranty? 2001 Forester L

Oh, was it their fault? I thought mine went due to running over the neighbor's rottweiler. This was recently on a '99 so I guess I got 6 years out of it.

So anybody rigging heat shields to fix the problem?

Anyone ever tried to get Subaru to pay for the passenger inside front axle boot/axle replacement since it splits due to poor design of putting the boot right above the exhaust system?

For some reason my 91 Legacy not nearly as bad as my 80 wagon was. Got the replacement techniquie on the 80 down to where I didn't even remove the axle from the car. Just pop the spring pin, disconnect the sway bar, tie rod and ball joint or A-Frame bolt. Then pull the hub outward until half shaft end would drop to the ground(or hang there). would take off boot and joint, clean and regrease on workbench then reinstall under the car.

I am already over 60k (around 75k now) so I guess I won't get the 5/60k coverage, but that is a good idea to those still covered. I might try to rig a heat shield. I will post if I come up with a decent design. Otherwise the car is running great, and the clock fix still is working fine.